Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Stock GIAF_JRA case with offsets of 0 for most datm fields and -5400 for SWDN

johnsonb

Ben Johnson
[I originally posted this thread in Non-component-specific topics > Infrastructure but moved it here to Non-component-specific topics > Data Models because this seems to be the correct topic.]

Hi CGD BB,

I’ve created a stock GIAF_JRA case using the cesm2_1_1 release on GLADE. When the user_datm.streams.txt* files get created, all of them have offsets of 0, except for SWDN.

> cd /glade/p/cesm/releases/cesm2_1_1/cime/scripts/
> ./create_newcase --case /glade/work/johnsonb/cases/GIAF_JRA.f09_g17.003 --compset GIAF_JRA --res f09_g17 --project P93300612 --run-unsupported

Moving to the case directory,

> cd /glade/work/johnsonb/cases/GIAF_JRA.f09_g17.003
> ./case.setup
> ./preview_namelists
> vim user_datm.streams.txt.CORE_IAF_JRA.GCGCS.PREC
> vim user_datm.streams.txt.CORE_IAF_JRA.GISS.LWDN
> vim user_datm.streams.txt.CORE_IAF_JRA.GISS.SWDN

PREC
and LWDN have offsets of 0 while SWDN has an offset of -5400.

Checking the headers of the netCDF files in the stream shows that PREC, LWDN, and SWDN have time values of 1.5 4.5 7.5 ... and time_bnds of [0,3] [3, 6] [6, 9] ...

The other fields Q_10, SLP_, T_10, U_10, V_10 all have offsets of 0 as well, although they do not have time_bnds and their time values are set to 0 3 6 ...

Is there a specific reason that SWDN has an offset and the other fields with time_bnds do not?

The SWDN offset is set in this file in the strm_offset entry:

/glade/p/cesm/releases/cesm2_1/cime/src/components/data_comps/datm/cime_config/namelist_definition_datm.xml

I'm unable to find an explanation of the offset either in that file, in the JRA-55 specifications, or in the RDA handbook.

Thank you,
Ben Johnson / johnsonb