Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

stomata resistance and solar zenith angle

msulis

Mauro
Dear All,

I am experiencing some issue in running continental-scale simulations (approx. 6km resolution) across Europe (see attached plots). In particular, I am getting a weird pattern of the stomata resistance (both SHA and SUN components) during the sunrise and the sunset, with night-day switch across the domain. It seems that there is mismatch between the internally calculated solar zenith angle and the timing of the radiation forcing. Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Best,
Mauro

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 18.18.00.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 18.18.00.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2021-06-21 at 10.28.31.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-21 at 10.28.31.png
    742.2 KB · Views: 8

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I guess I would suggest outputting some diurnal cycle output for incoming solar (FSDS), reflected solar (FSR), and the cosine of the solar zenith angle (COSZEN) and see how they are lining up. You might have to adjust your forcing data.

nick

Herold
[linking from this post]
Hi @msulis, did you get to the bottom of this? I'm seeing it as well in my global cases. @oleson I've looked at FSDS, FSR and COSZEN and they seem consistent at first glance (figs below). Looking at GSSUN evolve by time step, it does seem consistent with what @msulis says about these artefacts arising at sunset.
ncview.FSR.pngncview.FSDS.pngncview.COSZEN.png

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
It doesn't look like gs_mol_sun (GSSUN) and gs_mol_sha (GSSHA) are being set at night in the code, so they are retaining the values from the last time step with sunlight. Perhaps they should be set to the Medlyn intercept value at night (minimum stomatal conductance).