Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Strong temperature restoring in colder climate

Dear all,

I have several questions about POP temperature restoring (which I have already posted but I cannot move it to POP forum)
So, if I want to keep Barents Sea in a lesser or none sea ice state, Dave suggested to use temperature restoring method and I have the following questions.

First of all, I need to create a restoring file for POP which includes salinity, temperature and other necessary variables. Is that correct? then

1. If I only restoring ocean temperature, will the salinity be affected ? Can POP nudge or calculate new salinity by itself?
2. Say, if I set atmosphere and land components in a colder climate e.g. LGM, then I do a POP restoring using present day condition,
how will this setup affect global energy balance or global water storage ? I have a feeling that the model will crash in such setup.

Thank you very much

Xiao