Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

subset_data can not find inputdata

taoliu_tech

Tao Liu
I am following tutorial Welcome to the 2022 CTSM mini-tutorial — CTSM Mini-tutorial 2022 to simulate single point, but I received the error below. I am using a container escomp/cesm-lab-neon.

[user@cesm site_and_regional]$ ./subset_data point --lat 42.53562 --lon 287.82438 --site my_point --create-surface --create-datm --datm-syr 2001 --datm-eyr 2002 --create-user-mods --outdir ~/my_subset_data --inputdata-dir ~/inputdata
WARNING: No dominant pft type is chosen. If you want to choose a dominant pft type, please use --dompft flag.
ERROR: File not found : /home/user/inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata_map/release-clm5.0.18/surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2000_c190214.nc

afoster

Adrianna Foster
Hi,

Unfortunately it looks like that file is not available on your container. For the tutorial we downloaded the file from Cheyenne and placed in in that folder location. I'm not sure if that file exists on the container escomp/cesm-lab-neon. If it does you will need to find it and modify the file default_data.cfg in ctsm/tools/site_and_regional so that the directory (and filename) are correct.

taoliu_tech

Tao Liu
I manually downloaded the missing data from website https://svn-ccsm-inputdata.cgd.ucar.edu/trunk/inputdata/.
That tutorial asked to change xml
Code:
./xmlchange MPILIB=impi
I was not able to do this, because I received error message "ERROR: Could not find a matching MPI for attributes: {'compiler': 'gnu', 'mpilib': 'impi', 'threaded': False}". If I did not change XML, now, I encountered the error below after case.submit.

*** The MPI_Query_thread() function was called before MPI_INIT was invoked.
*** This is disallowed by the MPI standard.
*** Your MPI job will now abort.
[cc1348ebea6c:34309] Local abort before MPI_INIT completed completed successfully, but am not able to aggregate error messages, and not able to guarantee that all other processes were killed!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I've been told that the CTSM mini-tutorial was not designed to work in the cesm-lab NEON container. Please see this discussion regarding current and future tutorial opportunities:

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The following may be helpful:

Also:

You'll likely have to make modifications for your own machine, these instructions are based on our machine, cheyenne.

taoliu_tech

Tao Liu
Thank you, Keith. Those links point to the same content as the mini tutorial. I have tried myself three months to install CESM on my own computer and I have never had success. I do not plan to invest more time installing the CESM on my computer. I'm now using escomp/cesm-lab-neon, escomp/ctsm-neon and escomp/cesm-lab-2.2 containers to run and learn CESM. I can run global simulation examples using those containers, but single-point simulation never succeeded. I can use run_neon command in escomp/ctsm-neon container to successfully get the simulation results for NEON sites, but as I mentioned above, the general point simulation failed following the instruction links above. I think NEON simulation is just a special case of general point simulation, and I should be able to run a general point simulation in a container if NEON simulation is successful in that container. Do you know any container that works for general point simulation? Can CESM users like me apply for an account to use the Cheyenne machine?