Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

SUM of PCT_NAT_PFT not 1.0

dliu

Dunyu Liu
Dear Colleagues,

I am trying to run this compset BSSP370cmip6 with resolution f09_g17 without any futher modification.

I encountered the following error:

ERROR: ERROR in surfrdUtilsMod.F90 at line 70
read_variable_2d ERROR: sum of PCT_NAT_PFT not 1.0 at nl= 1
sum is: 3.131513062529907E-296
ENDRUN:

I wonder if anyone could give me any suggestions on what's going on and how to fix it?

I am running the model with CESM2.1.3 and on lonestar6, a new machine at TACC at UT Austin.

Many thanks for your help!
Dunyu Liu

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hmmm, OK the problem is that the sum of the natural PFT's over a particular grid cell is adding up to a very small value when it should sum to 1.0. This could indicate a problem with the surface dataset for your case. But, we should have already run this case on our machines. Since this is the latest version of the CESM2.1 release I can't recommend updating the model version.

I do think I need more information on your case though to validate. Could you tell me what the name of the fsurdat and landuse.timeseries files are from the lnd_in namelist? Also does it tell you which point is failing?

Some guidance on giving help is here...

dliu

Dunyu Liu
Hmmm, OK the problem is that the sum of the natural PFT's over a particular grid cell is adding up to a very small value when it should sum to 1.0. This could indicate a problem with the surface dataset for your case. But, we should have already run this case on our machines. Since this is the latest version of the CESM2.1 release I can't recommend updating the model version.

I do think I need more information on your case though to validate. Could you tell me what the name of the fsurdat and landuse.timeseries files are from the lnd_in namelist? Also does it tell you which point is failing?

Dear Erik,

Thanks a lot for getting back to me!

Below are the contents in the clm.input_data_list under /mycasedirecotry/Buildconf/.
fsurdat seems to be "release-clm5.0.18/surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_78pfts_CMIP6_simyr1850_c190214.nc",
and landuse.timeseries is "release-clm5.0.18/landuse.timeseries_0.9x1.25_SSP3-7.0_78pfts_CMIP6_simyr1850-2100_c190214.nc"

Attached please find the clm.input_data_list under /mycasedirecotry/Buildconf/,
and cesm and lnd output logs in the run directory.

In terms of the porting, this GitHub repository hosts the config files I modified to make CESM2.1.3 work on Lonestar6 at TACC at UT Austin, a new machine. GitHub - dunyuliu/UT_CESM2_Guide: User guide and documentation for installation of CESM2 on TACC Lonestar5 HPC

The compiling works though.

Thanks again for your help! Hope you here from you soon.

Best,
Dunyu Liu

Attachments

• SSP370_error_logs.zip
    31.4 KB · Views: 1
  • clm.inpit_data_list.zip
    785 bytes · Views: 2

dliu

Dunyu Liu

Hi Erik,
Hope you are doing well! May I follow up my issue on 'SUM of PCT_NAT_PFT not 1.0'? The surface datasets the model called are

fsurdat seems to be "release-clm5.0.18/surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_78pfts_CMIP6_simyr1850_c190214.nc",
and landuse.timeseries is "release-clm5.0.18/landuse.timeseries_0.9x1.25_SSP3-7.0_78pfts_CMIP6_simyr1850-2100_c190214.nc"

Is there any problem with the datasets?

Many thanks,
Dunyu

dliu

Dunyu Liu
Hi, Have you solved this problem? I also encounted the same problem.
Hi Xululu, the problem is in the user namelists. If you can have access to the case directory b.e21.BSSP370cmip6.f09_g17.CMIP6-SSP3-7.0.101 (on NCAR machines I assume. My colleague got the files for me), after you add the contents in the user_nl_lists, the model should work. -Dunyu

ohmpawat

ohmpawat chen
Hi Xululu, the problem is in the user namelists. If you can have access to the case directory b.e21.BSSP370cmip6.f09_g17.CMIP6-SSP3-7.0.101 (on NCAR machines I assume. My colleague got the files for me), after you add the contents in the user_nl_lists, the model should work. -Dunyu
Hi, do you have another solution? I don't have access to the files. Thanks a lot!

Yuan Sun

Yuan Sun
Hi all,
I also met a similar error but I solved it. Below for reference:

I ran : ./create_newcase --case $CESM_ROOT/runs/20231120SpinUp --compset IHistClm50BgcCrop --res f09_g17

It returned error: Error: read_variable_2d ERROR: sum of PCT_NAT_PFT not 1.0 ....

Then, I checked the lnd.log, it recorded:
Attempting to read pft dynamic landuse data .....
(GETFIL): attempting to find local file landuse.timeseries_0.9x1.25_hist_78pfts_CMIP6_simyr1850-2015_c170824.nc
(GETFIL): using /work/n02/n02/yuansun/cesm/cesm_inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata_map/landuse.timeseries_0.9x1.25_hist_78pfts_CMIP6_simyr1850-2015_c170824.nc

The error came from a wrong 'pft dynamic landuse data'. I add the below script in the 'user_nl_clm':

flanduse_timeseries = '/work/n02/n02/yuansun/cesm/cesm_inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata_map/release-clm5.0.18/landuse.timeseries_0.9x1.25_hist_78pfts_CMIP6_simyr1850-2015_c190214.nc'

Then, ./case.setup --reset, ./case.build, and ./case.submit. The error was solved.

This should work.

Best,
Yuan