Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

switch seaice build/melt on in data ice model (dice)

Dear Forum, I am running a modified F compset (CAM with a simplied mixed layer (not SOM)). I want to allow sea-ice changes in the DICE routine if temperatures drop below or rise above the freezing temperature. Is my assumption correct that the thermodynamic ice model (I do not want to use the full dynamical CICE model) will be switched on for the SSTDATA case?flux_Qacc  = .true.     Thanks!

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
If you want the sea ice to evolve thermodynamically, but not specify the concentration and thickness, then you can run the fully active CICE with kdyn=0 in the namelist. This turns off the dynamics. If I understand it correctly, this is more like an E compset. The F compset is intended to be used for specified ice fraction and SST.Dave

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
If you want the sea ice to evolve thermodynamically, but not specify the concentration and thickness, then you can run the fully active CICE with kdyn=0 in the namelist. This turns off the dynamics. If I understand it correctly, this is more like an E compset. The F compset is intended to be used for specified ice fraction and SST.Dave

thank you for the reply! it seems though that the kdyn=0 setting in the CICE model still allows e.g. advection of seaice? I opted to use DICE as I only want to allow melting and build up of seaice depending on the SSTs.

thank you for the reply! it seems though that the kdyn=0 setting in the CICE model still allows e.g. advection of seaice? I opted to use DICE as I only want to allow melting and build up of seaice depending on the SSTs.

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
If you use CICE with the namelist parameter kdyn=0, this sets the sea ice to pure thermodyamic only mode.Dave

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
If you use CICE with the namelist parameter kdyn=0, this sets the sea ice to pure thermodyamic only mode.Dave