Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

The result of GPP and NPP were close to 0 in July

Li Ming

Li Ming
Hi,
The version I am using is release-CLM5.0.35. I want to drive the model with my own 0.1° atmospheric forcing data combined with 0.1° domain that I created for my study area. Firstly, I created the 0.1° domain and surface files for the study area. Then I processed my atmospheric forcing data (named CMFD) into the same format as GSWP3. After inputting these files into the model, it ran without error for 10 years. However, the results showed that in most areas, GPP and NPP were close to 0 in July and other months, which is an abnormal situation. I am wondering what might be causing this issue. I will attach information about the atmosphere data, all null values have been filled.

I also have another question. I once ran the model for a period of time using my own 0.1° domain and surface files combined with GSWP3 data. However, there was a large difference between the grids in the resulting figure, and even some empty grids appeared. How can I avoid this situation?

Attachments

• cmfd-GPP-1988-07.png
    cmfd-GPP-1988-07.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 22
  • GSWP3-GPP-1979-07.png
    GSWP3-GPP-1979-07.png
    95.9 KB · Views: 13
  • atmosphere.zip
    3.6 KB · Views: 3
  • user_nl_datm.txt
    2 KB · Views: 5
  • user_nl_clm.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 2
  • lnd.log.5339.zip
    633.6 KB · Views: 0
  • cesm.log.5339.zip
    13.4 KB · Views: 0
  • atm.log.5339.zip
    771.2 KB · Views: 2
  • cmfd-NPP-1988-07.png
    cmfd-NPP-1988-07.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 21

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I would start by examining the forcing data to see if it is reasonable. Look at the forcing variables in the history files, e.g., FSDS, FLDS, QBOT, TBOT, WIND, etc. You should also output those variables for a few days at a half-hourly or hourly time resolution to see if the diurnal cycle looks reasonable. The fact that your GSWP3V1 forced GPP looks fairly reasonable (aside from the empty grid) may point toward a problem with the forcing data or how it's being interpreted by datm.
I'm not sure what to say about your second question. The GSWP3V1 data is global (no missing values), so it might have something to do with your surface dataset maybe? Check your surface types in that empty grid.

Li Ming

Li Ming
Thank you for your reply. I checked the atmospheric data and found that the precipitation data was abnormal. After making the necessary modifications, the model ran normally. I have a question about spin-up. I want to use the CMFD atmospheric forcing data from 1979 to 2018 to create an IHIST case to study the GPP and NPP during this period. However, before doing this, I need to complete the spin-up process. I am confused whether I should use compset I1850Clm50Bgc or I2000Clm50Bgc for the spin-up process. I noticed that the only difference between these two is the CO2. Do you have any suggestions for me?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You can use the I2000Clm50BGC for the spinup process since you are only going to run the last segment of the historical.

Li Ming

Li Ming
Thank you. I will use the I2000Clm50BGC for the spinup process, But I always felt that the results were not quite correct during the simulation, my domain and surface files were 0.1°, and the atmospheric forcing data used was also 0.1° and three-hour resolution,other researchers using the same data set get very different results from mine. I tried to use other researchers' data and domain files to run on my own machine, but I got two results with large differences. In the second image, the results from other researchers are on the left,and the results run on my machine are on the right

Attachments

• 屏幕截图 2023-04-29 221033.png
    屏幕截图 2023-04-29 221033.png
    99.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 微信图片_20230429222932.png
    微信图片_20230429222932.png
    351.7 KB · Views: 21

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I have seen similar patterns in high resolution simulations because the soil texture (percent sand/clay) datasets are at fairly coarse resolution by comparison. I would expect those patterns to smooth out with a long enough spinup.