Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

The sunlit and shaded component in CTSM

Wenge99

Wenge Ni-Meister
I have a specific question about Eqn 2.3.21 - radiation absorption by vegetation. Is the solution for the whole canopy layer or is it for each layer within a whole canopy?
Here is the link: 2.3. Surface Albedos — ctsm release-clm5.0 documentation
Anyone has the reference of the two stream solution of canopy radiative transfer theory for a finite canopy layer?

If Eqn 2.3.21 is for the whole canopy, then the light absorption by the sunlit and shaded vegetation is for the whole canopy only (Eqns 2.3.23-24).
I am interested in light absorption by the sunlit and shaded vegetation for each layer within a whole canopy. For a multilayer canopy, I see that the code has the derivatives of fabs: d_fabd, d_fabd_sun and d_fabd_sha. But if fabs is the whole canopy, can you still take the derivative of fabd (light absorption by the whole canopy)?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Eqn 2.3.21 describes radiation absorbed by vegetation for the whole canopy.
For a multi-layer canopy these references might be useful:

Bonan G.B., M. Williams, R.A. Fisher, and K.W. Oleson, 2014: Modeling stomatal conductance in the earth system: linking leaf water-use efficiency and water transport along the soil-plant-atmosphere continuum, Geosci. Model Dev., 7, 2193-2222, DOI:10.5194/gmd-7-2193-2014.

Bonan, G.B., E.G. Patton, I.N. Harman, K.W. Oleson, J.J. Finnigan, Y. Lu, and E.A. Burakowski, 2018: Modeling canopy-induced turbulence in the Earth system: a unified parameterization of turbulent exchange within plant canopies and the roughness sublayer (CLM-ml v0), Geosci. Model Dev., 11, 1467-1496, doi:10.5194/gmd-11-1467-2018.

Wenge99

Wenge Ni-Meister
Thanks, Keith. Bonan et al. 2018 paper states that "radiative transfer in the visible and near-infrared wavebands is calculated from the two-stream approximation with the absorbed solar radiation partitioned into direct beam, scattered direct beam, and diffuse radiation for sunlit and shaded leaves in relation to cumulative plant area index as in Dai et al. (2004)." Where can I find the code used in the paper?