Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

The wrong results of FSDCHM

Sherry Hou

Houxw
Hi, everyone.
I am trying to run the simulation using SSP scenario and FSDCHM case.
The simulation runs successfully. But the O3_CHMP and O3_CHML are not correct in the output.
In troposphere, the total of O3_CHMP should be greater than O3_CHML.
But in my simulation outputs, the total of O3_CHMP (3184.14Tg/yr) is less than O3_CHML (3782.05 Tg/yr).
And the O3 concentration in the troposphere is much higher than observation and tropospheric ozone column (global mean >100DU) also is much higher than in satellite data (~30 DU).
I have checked the emission datasets in 2015 and compared them with CMPI6. The datasets seem no problem.
And the setting of user_nl_cam also seems no problem.
Could anybody give me some suggestions?
Thanks a lot!

Sherry

Attachments

• atm_in.txt
    18 KB · Views: 3
  • user_nl_cam.txt
    13.7 KB · Views: 2

Sherry Hou

Houxw
Hi,
I found the output of default setting in FSDCHM also have the problem, total tropospheric O3 chemical production is less than O3 loss.
Is there anyone else found the problem?

behroozr

Behrooz Roozitalab
Hi,
I found the output of default setting in FSDCHM also have the problem, total tropospheric O3 chemical production is less than O3 loss.
Is there anyone else found the problem?
Hi Sherry,

For O3, the O3_CHML and O3_CHMP do not represent the loss and productions as they also include fast cycling reactions. If using CESM2, you should probably have O3_Prod and O3_Loss in your outputs, which can be used for your calculation. Please see this link for more information: https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/camchem/Using+CAM-chem+Output

Sincerely,
Behrooz

Sherry Hou

Houxw
Hi Sherry,

For O3, the O3_CHML and O3_CHMP do not represent the loss and productions as they also include fast cycling reactions. If using CESM2, you should probably have O3_Prod and O3_Loss in your outputs, which can be used for your calculation. Please see this link for more information: https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/camchem/Using+CAM-chem+Output

Sincerely,
Behrooz
Hi, Behrooz,
Thank you for your reply!
If I use FSDCHM case of CESM1.2.2, do you know how could I get the right loss and productions of O3?
Could you give me some suggestions?
Best,
Sherry

Sherry Hou

Houxw
Hi Sherry,

Sincerely,
Behrooz
Thank you, Rebecca. Yes, the default diagnostic results of O3_CHMP and O3_CHML include fast cycling reactions in FCSD of CESM2.
But in FSDCHM of CESM1.2 they seems not include fast cycling reaction, see the Tilmes's paper in 2016.
1662736196542.png

Another question:
Does DO3CHM mean the net chemical production of O3? Could we output it in FSDCHM of CESM1.2 by "addfld" ?
Thanks a lot!
Best,
Sherry