Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Timeseries post-processing on derecho

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
We have a sort of working version of the timeseries post-processing on derecho. It does not work yet on casper as it relies on impi which is not available on casper yet.

Option #1 :: if you own $CASEROOT:

cd $CASEROOT

module use /glade/work/bdobbins/Software/Modules

module load cesm_postprocessing_derecho

create_postprocess -caseroot=`pwd`

cd postprocess/

cp /glade/u/home/dbailey/timeseries .

Edit timeseries to fix the CASENAME

Option #2 :: if you do NOT own $CASEROOT:

cp /glade/work/nanr/cesm_tags/CASE_tools/pp-offline/derecho/LR/pp-offline-standAlone-derecho.csh MY_TOOLS_DIRECTORY
Edit pp-offline-standAlone-derecho.csh to set the CASENAME and PATHS.
./pp-offline-standAlone-derecho.csh

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Just noting that I tried this on clm primary (h0) history files and it worked for me, thanks!
Minor: I edited CASE and CASEROOT in the timeseries script, not CASENAME.

mlague

I was able to follow these instructions to get time series for both the lnd and ice model components, but not the atm. Specifically, I'm trying to make time series of variable from the monthly history output files. I'm not sure what I'm missing, as I made the same changes to the atmosphere part of the scripts as to the land part, which successfully got me my land time series, but don't even result in the creation of the "atm/proc" directory. Any tips?

mlague

I've attached the env_timeseries.xml file (as plain text) - forgot to attach to original message.

Attachments

• env_timeseries.txt
    18.5 KB · Views: 3

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Are your primary history files *.cam.h0.*.nc? Mine from a recent run are *.cam.h0a.*.nc.

mlague

Oooooooooooooooo you're absolutely right, they are indeed h0a now! Just switched that in the env_timeseries and we'll see how it goes! Thanks!!!!

michelle_dvorak

Michelle Dvorak
I have not had success in starting a post-processing job on Derecho using these instructions. Job fails when I submit with the following in the log file:

Extra data: line 1 column 1470 (char 1469)
cesm_tseries_generator: DEBUG... Running on 1 cores
Extra data: line 1 column 1470 (char 1469)
dec2276.hsn.de.hpc.ucar.edu: rank 117 exited with code 1
cesm_tseries_generator: DEBUG... Running on 1 cores
Extra data: line 1 column 1470 (char 1469
dec2276.hsn.de.hpc.ucar.edu: rank 112 died from signal 15

I've tried to take a look at the offending "cesm_tseries_generator" file, which I believe is located in /opt/ncar/cesm_postprocessing/cesm-env2/bin/ , according to the timeseries file, but I suspect there is an environment issue that is over my head. I am told the directory does not exist.

Help appreciated! Thank you --

Michelle