Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Tracking down memory leak in new COSP code

jshaw35

Jonah Shaw
Hi all,

I have coupled the COSP satellite simulator in CAM with a separate radiative transfer model. The coupling and outputs are all working, but there appears to be a memory leak in my new code.

When I run CAM with my new code, the memory usage increases at each timestep until the run crashes. I have pasted output from the cesm.log at the bottom of the post showing this. When I run without the new code, the memory size is nearly constant and I don't have any issues.

I am wondering how to track down the memory leak in my new code. I have gone through all of the allocated variables to make sure that they are being deallocated but haven't been able to find the issue. Is there a way to print memory usage more frequently or another more granular way to go about this?

Thanks!
Jonah

Last 7 memusage statements from the cesm.log showing increasing memory usage:
dec0156.hsn.de.hpc.ucar.edu0: sysmem size=3056.4 MB rss=1765.8 MBshare=186.6 MB text=58.9 MB datastack=0.0 MB
dec0156.hsn.de.hpc.ucar.edu0: sysmem size=3068.4 MB rss=1780.2 MBshare=186.6 MB text=58.9 MB datastack=0.0 MB
dec0156.hsn.de.hpc.ucar.edu0: sysmem size=3089.3 MB rss=1800.0 MBshare=186.6 MB text=58.9 MB datastack=0.0 MB
dec0156.hsn.de.hpc.ucar.edu0: sysmem size=3136.9 MB rss=1848.4 MBshare=186.6 MB text=58.9 MB datastack=0.0 MB
dec0156.hsn.de.hpc.ucar.edu0: sysmem size=3124.4 MB rss=1836.2 MBshare=186.6 MB text=58.9 MB datastack=0.0 MB
dec0156.hsn.de.hpc.ucar.edu0: sysmem size=3226.0 MB rss=1910.9 MBshare=161.8 MB text=58.9 MB datastack=0.0 MB
dec0156.hsn.de.hpc.ucar.edu0: sysmem size=3244.9 MB rss=1936.5 MBshare=162.0 MB text=58.9 MB datastack=0.0 MB

peverley

Courtney Peverley
Hi Jonah,

I'm sorry to hear about your debugging woes!

One way to track memory usage is by calling shr_mem_getusage(...) before and after various calls and then printing out the difference.

You can see an example of how all that is done in $CAM/src/physics/cam/physics_grid.F90

Good luck!
Courtney

jshaw35

Jonah Shaw
Hi Courtney,

Awesome, thanks for pointing me to the shr_mem_usage(...) call. I will add this in CESM's COSP interface.

The COSP code is built as a separate library that doesn't have access to the "shr_mem_mod" module. So I can't call "shr_mem_usage" in a more granular way in between steps within COSP and my new code. Is there a good way to make a similar call to print the memory usage without "shr_mem_usage"? It doesn't need to be CESM specific and I can run COSP offline completely separately from CESM if that makes things easier. A simple search points me in this direction (Track memory usage in Fortran 90), but I thought I would ask before diving in.

Thanks again!
Jonah