Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Transient run with MAM

Dear CESM experts,
I'm trying to build a run to calculate different air pollutants include aerosols.
I think I should use CAM5 which uses MAM that calculate aerosols. But when I searched in comfig_compsets.xml, I found no case looks like "20TR_CAM5%XXX". I tried to build a case "20TR_CAM5%MOZM_CLM40%CN_CICE_POP2_RTM_SGLC_SWAV", but it didn't run correctly.
I have three questions:
1) I think B20TRC5CN did not use any chemical mechanism, because in env_build.xml, the 'CAM_CONFIG_OPTS' is set to '-phys cam5', no '-chem' set. Is this correct?
2) How can I build a case to make transient CAM5%MOZM simulation?
3) Is there any way to make MAM work with CAM4?
Thank you so much,
Pei

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
The MAM prognostics aerosol are part of the cam5 physics. When you run B20TRC5CN, the MAM prognostics aerosol are turned on.
MAM was not implemented to be compatible with CAM4. 

Thank you, so I can only get aerosol result from CAM5. What should I do to add chemical(any one whould work) in cam5? I found that B20TRC5CN don't calculate other species I want, such as CO2, because when I tried to modify the CO2 emission (srf_emis_specifier             = 'CO2      -> /path/file'), I got error: srf_emis_inti: spc_name CO2              is not included in the simulation
(shr_sys_abort) ERROR: srf_emis_inti: invalid surface emission specification
(shr_sys_abort) WARNING: calling shr_mpi_abort() and stopping

CESM researcher

HW doctor
Thank you, so I can only get aerosol result from CAM5. What should I do to add chemical(any one whould work) in cam5? I found that B20TRC5CN don't calculate other species I want, such as CO2, because when I tried to modify the CO2 emission (srf_emis_specifier = 'CO2 -> /path/file'), I got error: srf_emis_inti: spc_name CO2 is not included in the simulation
(shr_sys_abort) ERROR: srf_emis_inti: invalid surface emission specification
(shr_sys_abort) WARNING: calling shr_mpi_abort() and stopping
Excuse me,Did you solve the problem? I have encountered the same problem, if you solve the problem, I hope to get your help. Many thanks.