Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Troubles with starting year of CAM

Hello,
We are three spanish students running CAM3.0 model. We have already run the model, obtained the history files (one day run, with output files every hour). Our NCDATE is 0000-9-1, so we are not sure when the model run started from. Are the datasets actual data from a specific year ... ? In that case... Where can we find in which year it started?

So our problem is that we need to run the model for an specific year (starting the latest year possible and ending some year in the future, if that's posible, for example, from 2006 to 2008 ) so we think we need to get an initial condition dataset in order to run the model starting the latest year possible. We've download the dataset cami_000-09-01_64x128_L26_c030918.nc and now we want to know if we need to download other datasets, or if with the one we have, can we change the starting year?

Thank you!

rneale

Rich Neale
CAM Project Scientist
Staff member
If the NCDATE file has 0000-09-01 in it then the data in that files is relevant to Sep 1st, i.e. it was extracted from a model run on that model date. The variable that sets the start day is
START_YMD and the following is directly out of the CAM users' guide
http://www.ccsm.ucar.edu/models/atm-cam/docs/usersguide/usersguide.pdf

Starting date for run as yyyymmdd. Default is
to Use date from initial condition dataset. If
not input, value is set to NCDATE from initial
dataset header.

Regarding SST datasets it is always hard to do real-time CAM runs as the SST data has to be continually processed in CAM input format. Right now we have up to 2004, and I think we may have just processed up to 2006. If you need that let me know. In terms of the future, obviously the SST is not known so you have a choice of running the available climatological SST, given that is probably the best guess of the near future, or of converting coupled modelled SSTs into a file format suitable for CAM.

rneale said:
If the NCDATE file has 0000-09-01 in it then the data in that files is relevant to Sep 1st, i.e. it was extracted from a model run on that model date. The variable that sets the start day is
START_YMD and the following is directly out of the CAM users' guide
http://www.ccsm.ucar.edu/models/atm-cam/docs/usersguide/usersguide.pdf

Starting date for run as yyyymmdd. Default is
to Use date from initial condition dataset. If
not input, value is set to NCDATE from initial
dataset header.

Regarding SST datasets it is always hard to do real-time CAM runs as the SST data has to be continually processed in CAM input format. Right now we have up to 2004, and I think we may have just processed up to 2006. If you need that let me know. In terms of the future, obviously the SST is not known so you have a choice of running the available climatological SST, given that is probably the best guess of the near future, or of converting coupled modelled SSTs into a file format suitable for CAM.

Hello. Where can I download the SSTs datum (2001~present). Thank you very much.