Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Unable to build case with MUSICA regional refinement grid

James King

James King
Hi all,

I've made a regionally-refined grid using MUSICA by following the steps in the tutorial. However, case.build fails with:

ERROR: Could not initialize Grids

when I try to build the case. It's a case using the FCHIST compset and I'm running CESM2.2.0 on Cheyenne. I'm not sure where to look for the source of the error - does anyone have any suggestions? I'm prepared for the grid itself to crash the model at some point (this is very much a test case) but I haven't got to that stage yet...

Thanks,

James

patc

Patrick Callaghan
Hi James,

With the recent transition from MCT to NUOPC, there are 2 separate
processes for generating and using VR grids. My first guess is that
you are following the NUOPC steps and not the older MCT process.
In the Community_Mesh_Generation_Toolkit,

Verify that you are following the tutorial and NOTES in the
AMWG_FEB21_DEMO_FILES subdirectory in VRM_Tools/Docs/
which is for MCT and not the more recent directory for the FEB22 DEMO.

--> Patrick

James King

James King
Hi Patrick,

Thanks, I will give this a try. Just to clarify, I should be using the MCT process for this and not the NUOPC one?

Best,

James

James King

James King
Thanks. At the moment it looks like it's not just this case as I get the same error when trying to build a case with an out-of-the-box grid using the same installation of CESM2.2.0. Is there a reason why switching to NUOPC might have caused this to happen, and should I just try again with a new CESM2 installation?

Best,

James

patc

Patrick Callaghan
Hi James,

The configuration of grids and related mapping files is different for NUOPC, but
if you are having a problem with a 1 degree uniform grid out of the box, then the
problem is likely not related to the VR grid. Definitely start with a clean CESM2.2
and establish a 5-day out-of-the-box run with a uniform 1 degree grid before
worrying about variable resolution grids and MCT/NUOPC issues. Once you have
that working, then go thru the MCT tutorial and verify each step along the way to
add your new grid.

--> Patrick