Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

unable to found bcgen n regrid utilities in CAM4 official version

Dear Eaton,

For my work I have to use regrid n bcgen utilities for boundary condition dataset which I am unable o found in official CAM4 release, whereas i have make a search n have found that these utilities are available in ccsm4_0_a01 (2010-01-15 alpha-release code), but when I tried to install this version on initial stage of my work I have faced many problems so from this forum you suggested me to install CAM4 official release (//forum.cgd.ucar.edu/showthread.php?1708-problem-in-quot-gmake-quot-in-CAM4).

So now what should I do ???
or how can i generate my new sst and sea-ice boundary condition data set..
please help me out.

Thank you
Ram
IIT Delhi.

Ram, you are right.
The directory models/atm/cam/tools now has only the cprnc and rad_driver subdirectories now.
It used to have many more, with tools for many different tasks.

Besides the icesst subdirectory with the bcgen and regrid tools that you mentioned,
which were handy to produce SST & ice fraction readable by cam,
there are many other directories missing,
including interpic (for initial condition data interpolation), defineqflux (to prepare
qflux forcing files for the 'som' slab ocean), etc.

This omission removes quite a bit of capability from CESM users to adapt the model
for their specific projects.

However, I guess the old tools could only handle gaussian grids used by the CAM3 spectral code,
not the finite volume grids currently used by CAM4/5.

Still, it would be great if those tools were not removed, but updated to work with the new FV grids also.
One can use NCL, Matlab, etc, to do the same job, but it takes quite a bit of coding to get there.

Thank you,
Gus Correa