Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Using config xml files in batch job when $HOME is not accessible on ARCHER2 workers

Hi
On ARCHER2 it would be useful to run the pre-alpha tests from a serial job queue rather than on the login node
However $HOME is not visible form the workers - its a characteristic of ARCHER2.

I'd like to keep the config_machines etc in .cime, rather than appended to the CIME's machines/*.xml as that makes amending them so easy

Is there a way to put the .cime/*.xml somewhere else than $HOME?

I see that Add ability to have CIME read an external-to-code site-specific configuration · Issue #3981 · ESMCI/cime indicates this has been implemented but not in the version I am running, CESM2.1.3
Is it a feature we could reasonably add ourselves merging from your implementation? If so how please?

Regards
Mike

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Since $HOME is not available on compute nodes you can set env variable HOME
to another directory with .cime as a subdirectory. To be safe you can link from $HOME/.cime to
the other directory which is available on the compute nodes. If you want to make a more robust change you
would need to change os.environ.get("HOME") in a few locations in the cime python.
lib/CIME/XML/batch.py, lib/CIME/XML/workflow.py, lib/CIME/XML/machines.py, lib/CIME/XML/compilers.py