Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Using multiple CPUs of a Ubutun server to run CLM5.0

hyf412694462

HE Yanfeng
Dear all,

I have a question about how to use multiple CPUs of a Ubutun server to run CLM5.0.

The machine I used to run CLM is a Ubutun server (no batch system) with 40 Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4210 CPUs. One CPU has 10 cores and 20 threads. I wonder how to set MAX_TASKS_PER_NODE and MAX_MPITASKS_PER_NODE or I need to set some other variables in config_machines.xml to utilize all cores and threads of 15 Intel CPUs to run the model? Moreover, should I change some specific settings during case.setup and case.build?

I appreciate any assistance you could provide and I look forward to hearing from you.

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I think that you would set MAX_TASKS_PER_NODE=800 and MAX_MPITASKS_PER_NODE=400 but I have not seen this machine before.

hyf412694462

HE Yanfeng
Dear Jedwards,

Thank you a lot for your kind assistance. I got it. Could you please explain more about how to determine this values (400 and 800)?

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The MAX_MPITASKS_PER_NODE is usually set to the maximum number of physical cores on a shared memory node.
the MAX_TASKS_PER_NODE is set to the maximum number of allowed threads on a shared memory node. But now rereading your message I think perhaps you used CPU when you meant node - in that case the values should be MAX_TASKS_PER_NODE=20 and MAX_MPITASKS_PER_NODE=10.
And you have 15 nodes - is that correct?

hyf412694462

HE Yanfeng
Dear Jedwards,

Thank you very much for you quick response. I think one CPU means one node in my case. Therefore, setting MAX_TASKS_PER_NODE=20 and MAX_MPITASKS_PER_NODE=10 is correct in my case.

However, I want to use 15 nodes to run the model, how to specify 15 (nodes)?
I would will to appreciate any help you could provide.

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You can specify NTASKS=150 or NTASKS=-15
the negative value tells cime to calculate ntasks as -1*(NTASKS)*MAX_MPITASKS_PER_NODE