Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Vertical Diffusion and physics tendency of Q

Hi,

I am performing a tendency analysis of Q in CAM6 and I was wondering if I am doing something wrong.

I gathered that the physics tendency (PTEQ = DCQ + VD01+DMEQ). Is this correct in CAM6?

After looking at the individual outputs over a few timesteps in an output history file, most of the time that sum holds, but often it doesn't near the surface layers (i.e., the PBL).

I noticed the VD01 is ALWAYS 0. This doesn't make a lot of sense. Did I do something wrong or am I missing something? This is standard CAM6 with no modifications, just out of the box. Also note, I am using CESM2.1.1

Thank you in advance

brianpm

Last time I went through the CAM6 Q budget, this decomposition closed appropriately:

PTEQ = DCQ + QTGW + CT_H2O + DMEQ

The VD01 tendency is all zeros in CAM6 because CLUBB now handles the vertical diffusion term; VD01 is available because CAM4 and CAM5 physics still use it. If you still find that this doesn't close, let me know.

QINKONG

QINQIN KONG
Last time I went through the CAM6 Q budget, this decomposition closed appropriately:

PTEQ = DCQ + QTGW + CT_H2O + DMEQ

The VD01 tendency is all zeros in CAM6 because CLUBB now handles the vertical diffusion term; VD01 is available because CAM4 and CAM5 physics still use it. If you still find that this doesn't close, let me know.
Thanks Brian for your answer. I'm doing a budget analysis of moist enthalpy which including the budget of Q. However, I had a hard time in identifying the budget terms in CAM output. Below is an q tendency equation from textbook. Comparing the equation below with PTEQ = DCQ + QTGW + CT_H2O + DMEQ, I have the following questions:
1) Does DCQ represent both the 2nd and 3rd terms of the RHS of the equation? What does CT_H2O represent?
2) The equation below seems to omit the diffusion term. Does QTGW represent vertical diffusion (equivalent to VD01 in CAM5)? What does DMEQ represent?
3) How about the dynamic term (convergence of moisture)? Is that available in CAM output field? I found a term called 'TAQ': 'Q horz + vert + fixer tendency'. Does it represent convergence of moisture?
4) Generally, I found the long-name of output field list not informative enough. Do we have a good place to get a clear idea about what each variable mean?
1638579528044.png

Thanks a lot!
-Qin