Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

vertical thermo error

Dear all,I am working with CESM1.2.2, E1850CN compset  (CAM4, CLM4, and a Slab-ocean).I would like to remove the diurnal and seasonal cycle of solar forcing, so I modified files "zenith.F90", "radsw.F90", and "shr_orb_mod.F90" under case directory.  Other settings are unchanged. I started with a "startup" run and the model crashed at year3, month 11 every time, with an error saying: Starting thermo, Tsn < Tmin Tsn=  -100.007281731455      Tmin=  -100.000000000000      istep1, my_task, i, j:     1146098          83           3           6 qsn  -179995997.739214      istep1, my_task, iblk =     1146098          83           2 Global block:         986 Global i and j:         252         365 Lat, Lon:   72.6737451597182       -91.8653354459640     (shr_sys_abort) ERROR: ice: Vertical thermo error(shr_sys_abort) WARNING: calling shr_mpi_abort() and stoppingapplication called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1001) - process 83 I found someone else also posted such error before, in which he suggested to increase ocean time step to get past this error. For slab-ocean, where could I modify the time step?  And, i am thinking is there a code-based solution to solve this problem now?    Best,Duan

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
This message indicates that your surface temperature is dropping below -100C. So, there is something very wrong in the forcing and the modifications that you have done.Dave

Dear dbailey,Sorry to reply late.I removed seasonal and diurnal cycle of solar insolation (no day and night, constant for each grid, only change with latitude) and fix SOLIN and zenith angle to their annual mean values. And, I replace all vegetations and urban type grid with bare ground.Above is what I have done, and attached files are solar insolation and zenith angle I used.Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!  PS, I wonder why Tmin = -100 ?   Can I change this value lower?  or can I use prescribed sea ice mode to avoid this error?Best,DUan 

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Did you look at your sea ice? Sounds like you are cooling the Earth so much that the ice is running away. You can try an F compset with prescribed SST and ice fraction to see if the atmosphere and land can run with this forcing. You cannot run the slab ocean (SOM) with prescribed sea ice.