Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

very high soil respiration at 3-hour scale?

I am running clm-cn 4.5 with my own 3-hourly, 1/24th degree data for western US.In the output, GPP looks fine, but the soil respiration goes very high in forested area. even higher than gpp, leading to negative NEP, which is not right in my study region. the log file says many errors such as:Negative conc. in ch4tran. c,j,deficit (mol):        19146            1
   4.5597589192627290E-003
 Note: sink > source in ch4_tran, sources are changing quickly relative to diffusion timestep, and/or diffusion is rapid.
 Latdeg,Londeg=    45.35420000000000         241.4375000000000    
 This typically occurs when there is a larger than normal diffusive flux.
 If this occurs frequently, consider reducing land model (or methane model) timestep, or reducing the max. sink per timestep in the methane model. I have the methane module turned on. Does anyone have some ideas about the reason behind?

Hi Zhenlin,I am having the same problem running the methane model. I get zero or negative CH4 fluxes over most of the world, and when I check the lnd log file, I see the same error you are seeing. I see this post is quite old... Did you ever get the problem fixed? If so, how? Did you try the suggestions given in the log ("consider reducing land model (or methane model) timestep, or reducing the max. sink per timestep in the methane model.")?  I have not attempted either of these solutions yet.