Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

what is the default timesteps and coupling frequency of CAM6.0, CLM5.0, and POP2

Eric

Eric
Hello,

Does anybody know the default timestep of CAM6.0, CLM5.0, and POP2 in a fully coupled simulation (e.g. BHIST_BPRP)? What is the coupling frequency between these three components? How can I check these in an out-of-box case?(Or which variables should I look into in the namelists?) Thank you!

nusbaume

Jesse Nusbaumer
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Eric,

For any particular compset/grid combination you can find the coupling frequency by creating a case and then looking for the "NCPL" variables in env_run.xml. For CAM and CLM, the time step is set by ATM_NCPL, which specifies how many time-steps and coupling events occur for each component over the time period specified by NCPL_BASE_PERIOD.

For POP2, the coupling frequency is given in a similar fashion via OCN_NCPL, but the internal POP2 time-step is specified in the namelist via the dt_option and dt_count variables (which you can find in your case run directory's pop_in file).

In general, I believe CAM/CLM usually has a 30-minute timestep, while POP2 has a 1-hour timestep. However, this can be compset and model-grid dependent. The default coupling frequency (NCPL) for each particular compset/grid combination are specified in CIME here:

<CESM_SRC_DIR>/cime/src/drivers/mct/cime_config/config_component_cesm.xml

where <CESM_SRC_DIR> is wherever your CESM source code is located.

Anyways, I hope that helps, and have a great day!

Jesse