Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

where to find POP 1-degree (gx1v3) simulation results for icepack input forcing

chenshzh12

Shengzhe Chen
Hi,
Could you please tell me where did you find POP 1-degree (gx1v3) simulation results for NICE2015 and ISPOL2004 ocean forcing? and how do you get deep ocean heat flux from POP? is it a direct output variable or extra derivations are needed to calculate it.
In addition, I found a variable in CMIP6 CESM2 outputs called siflsensupbot. The description for this variable is "the net sensible heat flux under sea ice from the ocean". I am wondering if it has the same meaning as the so-called deep ocean heat flux mentioned here in icepack input forcing data.
Best wishes

chenshzh12

Shengzhe Chen
more specifically, in ice_forcing.F90 it mentions that
"Reads NCAR pop ocean forcing data set 'pop_frc_gx1v3_010815.nc' at the ISPOL location -67.4677N, 310.4375E".
However, i could not find pop_frc_gx1v3_010815.nc anywhere online.
Thanks a lot for any help

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
So, I am confused by what you are asking here. Are you looking for ocean forcing for the 1D Icepack model or for the global 2D CICE model? We are no longer supporting the mixed-layer slab ocean model in the standalone CICE component. For more general information on slab ocean models within the CESM, I recommend you read the FAQ:

chenshzh12

Shengzhe Chen
So, I am confused by what you are asking here. Are you looking for ocean forcing for the 1D Icepack model or for the global 2D CICE model? We are no longer supporting the mixed-layer slab ocean model in the standalone CICE component. For more general information on slab ocean models within the CESM, I recommend you read the FAQ:

Hi,
Thank you for your response. I am looking for ocean forcing for the 1D Icepack model. I am trying to study the effects of deep-ocean heat flux (or say, sub-boundary layer heat flux in pop_frc_gx1v3_010815.nc, which I found it at https://svn-ccsm-inputdata.cgd.ucar.edu/trunk/inputdata/ice/csim4/) on sea ice in 1D Icepack model. Therefore, I am trying to learn how can I get an updated version of this variable given that pop_frc_gx1v3_010815.nc is a bit old.
Thank you for your help.