Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

3D cloud droplet field

James King

James King
Hi all,
Quick and hopefully easy question. I'm looking for a CAM6 output field which will give me cloud droplet number concentration on pressure levels (i.e. a 3D version of CDNUMC) for some offline calculations. I think I might want AWNC ('Average cloud water number conc') or ICWNC ('Prognostic in-cloud water number conc'), but there is also NUMLIQ ('Grid box averaged cloud liquid number') used in the calculation of CDNUMC. Which field most closely fits what I am looking for?
Thanks,
James

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Perhaps a scientist will answer this question and identify a field which you can use. In the meantime, here is an answer from the software side of things.

Inside src/physics/cam/micro_pumas_cam.F90, I see that CDNUMC is calculated as:

cdnumc_grid(:ngrdcol) = sum(nc_grid(:ngrdcol,top_lev:pver) * &
pdel_grid(:ngrdcol,top_lev:pver)/gravit, dim=2)

The field nc_grid does not appear to be output. You could add your own addfld/outfld call for this variable if that turns out to be what you want.