Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

A question about Alkalinity in CESM2-esm-ssp585

Jay Zhu

Hi all,

I found that in CMIP6, CESM2 showed a decrease in alkalinity of about 10 mol/m3 in the output file of experiment ID "esm-ssp585". Does this output belong to the compset "SSP585_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP-CMIP6DECK_CICE%CMIP6_POP2%ECO%ABIO-DIC_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BPRP"? Is this caused by model drift?

CESM2-esm-ssp585-CMIP6.png
And another question is that there is a variable named "bddtalk" which means "Net of biological terms in time rate of change of alkalinity". I'm a little confused about this concept. Can the decrease in alkalinity in the figure be explained by this concept?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jay Zhu

Hi all,

I found that in CMIP6, CESM2 showed a decrease in alkalinity of about 10 mol/m3 in the output file of experiment ID "esm-ssp585". Does this output belong to the compset "SSP585_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP-CMIP6DECK_CICE%CMIP6_POP2%ECO%ABIO-DIC_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BPRP"? Is this caused by model drift?

View attachment 5218
And another question is that there is a variable named "bddtalk" which means "Net of biological terms in time rate of change of alkalinity". I'm a little confused about this concept. Can the decrease in alkalinity in the figure be explained by this concept?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry for the mistake. The decrease in Alkalinity is about 0.01 mol/m^3.