Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Accumulating TEND_TEMP only at shallowest model level

sur23beeb

ST
I have modified the POP2 source code before to write out variables only at select depths before and am trying the same for TEND_TEMP at the shallowest model level. My plan is to just create a new 2d variable. Here are the steps I have taken (steps 1 and 2 are from within passive_tracers.F90)
Code:
integer (int_kind), dimension(1), public :: &
   tavg_temp_tend_5m         ! tavg id for temperature tendency at
                             ! shallowest model level

Code:
      sname = 'TEND_' /&
           &/ trim(tracer_d(1)%short_name)//'_5m'
      lname = 'Tendency of Thickness Weighted '/&
           &/ trim(tracer_d(1)%short_name)//'at 5m'
      units = tracer_d(1)%tend_units
      grid_loc = '2111'
      coordinates = 'TLONG TLAT time'
      call define_tavg_field(tavg_temp_tend_5m(1),                  &
                             sname, 2, long_name=lname,             &
                             units=units, grid_loc=grid_loc,        &
                             scale_factor=tracer_d(1)%scale_factor, &
                             coordinates=coordinates)

3. This is the part where I need some help. Here is the pre-existing code to write out TEND_TEMP, the variable with 3 spatial dimensions. This part is inside a do n = 1,nt loop, where n is the tracer id (1 for temperature, 2 for salinity, etc.)
Code:
      if (accumulate_tavg_now(tavg_var_tend(n)) .or. accumulate_tavg_now(tavg_var_tend_zint_100m(n))) then
         k = 1
         if (sfc_layer_type == sfc_layer_varthick) then
            WORK = (c1 / c2dtt(k)) * &
                 ((c1 + grav_dz_r*PSURF(:,:,newtime,iblock))*TRACER(:,:,k,n,newtime,iblock) - &
                  (c1 + grav_dz_r*PSURF(:,:,oldtime,iblock))*TRACER(:,:,k,n,oldtime,iblock))
         else
            WORK = (c1 / c2dtt(k)) * &
                 (TRACER(:,:,k,n,newtime,iblock) - &
                  TRACER(:,:,k,n,oldtime,iblock))
         endif

! add curtime Robert filter terms and change in curtime TRACER from frazil ice formation
         ! oldtime Robert filter terms are already included in TRACER newtime
         ! Robert filter only works with sfc_layer_varthick, so we don't implement non-sfc_layer_varthick here
         if (lrobert_filter) then
           WORK = WORK + (dzr(1)*(robert_curtime)/c2dtt(k)) * STORE_RF(:,:,k,n,iblock)
           WORK = WORK - rf_conservation_factor(n)*((robert_curtime)/c2dtt(k)) * &
             (c1 + grav_dz_r*PSURF(:,:,curtime,iblock)) * RCALCT_OPEN_OCEAN_3D(:,:,k,iblock)
           WORK = WORK + (c1 / c2dtt(k)) * &
             (c1 + grav_dz_r*PSURF(:,:,curtime,iblock)) * dTRACER_CUR_FRAZIL(:,:,n,iblock)
         endif

call accumulate_tavg_field(WORK, tavg_var_tend(n), iblock, k)

WORK_ZINT = dz(k) * merge(WORK, c0, k<=KMT(:,:,iblock))
In my case, I only require temperature, so I am thinking of plucking out the code block above out of the do loop and pasting it just before the do loop begins, with the following changes:
(i) Change n to just 1.
(ii) Change the accumulating step to reflect the new tavg id for my new variable as follows:
Code:
call accumulate_tavg_field(WORK, tavg_temp_tend_5m(1), iblock, k)

4. Do I still need this line in the newly pasted block of code? It will already be there inside the do n = 1,nt loop which obviously I am not going to touch.
Code:
WORK_ZINT = dz(k) * merge(WORK, c0, k<=KMT(:,:,iblock))