Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Adding a new grid for cesm2

thakur.abubakar

Abu Bakar Siddiqui Thakur
Hello everyone,
I have been using CESM 2.1.1 in the aquaplanet setting for certain idealized studies. I want to perform certain experiments in the aquaplanet setting with a very coarse resolution in the longitudinal direction, for example, maybe a dlon of ~15 - 20 degrees.
In this regard, I have been following the instructions provided in section 3.2 of 3. Model grids. I have been able to complete step 4 in these instructions. Related to step 5, I found this thread on the discussion forum. However, I'm having difficulty in building the executable following the instructions given in $CESMROOT/tools/mapping/gen_mapping_files/runoff_to_ocn/INSTALL.
The sequence of commands while in this directory, as in INSTALL, is as follows:
  1. cd src/
  2. ../../../../configure --macros-format Makefile --machine sahasrat
  3. (. ./.env_mach_specific.sh; gmake)
This generates an error message, attached err_out.txt
I have also attached the .env_mach_specific.sh (attached as env_mach_specific.sh) file generated in Step 2 above, the modules_file listing the modules I've been using on our Cray XC40 (machine name sahasrat) system to run CESM, config_batch, config_machines and config_compilers.xml. I've added the ESMF environment variables declarations in the modules file as well. However, I'm not sure if that's relevant here.
Kindly help me fix this issue. Any insight/ guidance in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• modules_file.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 2
  • err_out.txt
    7 KB · Views: 4

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
It seems that the fortran files are not being compiled in the correct order. Either the dependency files are not generated correctly or
the gmake command is ignoring them. I tried the listed commands on my system and for example generated the following fixroff_mod.d:

Code:
fixroff_mod.o fixroff_mod.d : fixroff_mod.F90
fixroff_mod.o : shr_sys_mod.o
fixroff_mod.o : kind_mod.o
fixroff_mod.o : map_mod.o

This clearly indates that files shr_sys_mod.F90, kind_mod.F90 and map_mod.F90 should be compiled prior to file fixroff_mod.F90

thakur.abubakar

Thank you so much for your response. Could you kindly tell me what changes I need to make or what sequence commands (different from those in $CESMROOT/tools/mapping/gen_mapping_files/runoff_to_ocn/INSTALL) I should execute to achieve this?

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Did you look to see if the fixroff_mod.d was as I described above? If it is you may need to try a different version of (g)make,
if it is not then the problem is probably with mkdep, try running it directly with
Code:
cc -o mkdep ../tools/makdep.c

./makdep fixroff_mod.F90

thakur.abubakar

The fixroff_mod.d file generated by gmake above is an empty file. I tried directly using makdep, but I'm getting the following error:

Please verify that both the operating system and the processor support Intel(R) MOVBE, F16C, FMA, BMI, LZCNT and AVX2 instructions.

This message appears many times when I run gmake as in INSTALL, as seen in err_out.

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I would suggest that you talk to your system administration staff about the proper response to that message. Cray systems often have special requirements for compiling code to be run on the login node. You might also try building on an interactive compute node as a possible solution.