Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Anomaly forcing run adds extra streams at runtime, causing an error

Dong Peng

Dong Peng
I'm out of ideas at this point sorry. I downloaded it myself and it was fine. I'll ask others if they have any ideas. @slevis
ncdump -k ~/inputdata/atm/datm7/anomaly_forcing/CMIP6-SSP5-8.5/af.allvars.CESM.SSP5-8.5.2015-2100_c20220628.nc
ncdump: /data4/home/dpeng/inputdata/atm/datm7/anomaly_forcing/CMIP6-SSP5-8.5/af.allvars.CESM.SSP5-8.5.2015-2100_c20220628.nc: NetCDF: Unknown file format

I tried to download the file with FileZilla ftp, but the problem is still.
I tried to use Matlab to open this file but failed.

Matlab log
>> ncdisp('C:\Users\Pe-Do\af.allvars.CESM.SSP5-8.5.2015-2100_c20220628.nc')
Error using matlab.internal.imagesci.netcdflib
'5' is not a recognized netcdf format.

Error in netcdf.inqFormat (line 26)
fmt = matlab.internal.imagesci.netcdflib('inqFormat',ncid);

Error in internal.matlab.imagesci.nc/openToRead (line 1293)
this.Format = lower(netcdf.inqFormat(this.ncRootid));

Error in internal.matlab.imagesci.nc (line 124)
this.openToRead();

Error in ncdisp (line 69)
ncObj = internal.matlab.imagesci.nc(ncFile);

>> h5read('C:\Users\Pe-Do\af.allvars.CESM.SSP5-8.5.2015-2100_c20220628.nc', '/time')
Error using h5readc
Unable to open the file because of HDF5 Library error. Reason:Unknown

Error in h5read (line 93)
[data,var_class] = h5readc(Filename,Dataset,start,count,stride);

Dong Peng

Dong Peng
Maybe try
"ncdump -k <file.nc>"
which is supposed to tell you the netcdf version of the file.
ncdump cannot recognize which format of this file. I tried browser download, wget, FTP(fileZilla). Tried to use different software to open this file, like ncview, panoply(NASA), Matlab, and ncdump. No solution yet.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I do see now that there is a strange problem with that file. An ncdump -k works fine on the file in its original location. However, if I scp it to our ftp site and do an ncdump -k on it I get a Unknown file format error.
So I made a new file that is "Classic" file format and put it on our ftp site:

ftp://ftp.cgd.ucar.edu/pub/oleson/af.allvars.CESM.SSP5-8.5.2015-2100_c20220628_classic.nc

So, download that and see if you get a valid file format when you do ncdump -k.

Dong Peng

Dong Peng
I do see now that there is a strange problem with that file. An ncdump -k works fine on the file in its original location. However, if I scp it to our ftp site and do an ncdump -k on it I get a Unknown file format error.

ftp://ftp.cgd.ucar.edu/pub/oleson/af.allvars.CESM.SSP5-8.5.2015-2100_c20220628_classic.nc

Hi, Oleson. I don't have access to get into this path. I cannot see any folders within ftp://ftp.cgd.ucar.edu/pub/.

joneill

Joseph O'Neill
Administrator
Staff member
If you're still unable to connect, we can likely confirm any firewall issues you might be having too. However, it may require us to know the IP address that you're reaching out from (or at least the somewhat precise time you tried to connect to our system from).

Dong Peng

Dong Peng
If you're still unable to connect, we can likely confirm any firewall issues you might be having too. However, it may require us to know the IP address that you're reaching out from (or at least the somewhat precise time you tried to connect to our system from).
Now, I can access the path with the password <your-email-here@email.com>. Before using this password, I used "user@example.edu" as the password, it can't let me get into the pub/oleson. Thanks for the help, I will try the nc file soon.

Dong Peng

Dong Peng

Oleson, it works. I now can use ncview and matlab to open this nc file. Some of the files in the anomaly path have similar issues, could you please help replace them with new files?

By the way, I want to know where I can find the citations about the anomaly forcing data. So then I can share the information with readers and reviewers, and acknowledge the helps when I try to publish my findings. Appreciate the help from you and the community.

joneill

Joseph O'Neill
Administrator
Staff member
Now, I can access the path with the password <your-email-here@email.com>. Before using this password, I used "user@example.edu" as the password, it can't let me get into the pub/oleson. Thanks for the help, I will try the nc file soon.
This was related to a failing mount on the system. The /pub directory should be remounted and available once again, so feel free to use your own email address to connect to the ftp system (although you can continue using either option; using your own email address will allow us to better troubleshoot any issues you might run into)