Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

./case.build ERROR: command gmake complib

Fuhow

Fu Hao
Hello
When I am porting CESM 2.2.0 to a ubuntu server, I met an error during the ./case.build as shown below.
1693366339597.png
My config_machines.xml and config _compilers.xml and bld.log are attached.
Thanks for any reply.

Fuhow

Fu Hao
These files are here.

Attachments

• atm.bldlog.230829-221429.txt
    6.5 KB · Views: 6
  • config_compilers.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 7
  • config_machines.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 3

Fuhow

Fu Hao
I also checked similar problems posted before, some replys said that this error may be caused by the older gmake version, and my GNU make version is 4.2.1 which is the newest one.
1693376564911.png

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Can you please give the output of running gfortran --version?

slevis

@Fuhow I don't mean to change the subject (you and @sacks can continue your troubleshooting). I just wanted to make sure that you have not made changes to the code before building, in other words you are building the default code.

Fuhow

Fu Hao
@Fuhow I don't mean to change the subject (you and @sacks can continue your troubleshooting). I just wanted to make sure that you have not made changes to the code before building, in other words you are building the default code.
Hi, slevis, thanks for your advice, I did not change any code in the model. I checkd nearly all the similar problems on the internet, the only possibility I can think is about the configure process.

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I think gcc / gfortran is up to version 13 now, but we test with version 10.1 on our main test system - so, close to what you're using. (I thought this might be due to use of an old compiler version, but that doesn't seem to be the case.)

I'm going to move this to the CAM forums, since you're getting an error in the CAM build.

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
CAM folks - please see the original post - any ideas what might be causing this CAM build error?

peverley

Courtney Peverley
Hi @Fuhow

It looks like this might be a bug in the code. Can you try breaking up the line in question in components/cam/src/physics/cam/physics_buffer.F90.in into two lines:

i.e. change line ~764
print *,__FILE__,__LINE__,i,trim(pbufPtr%hdr%name),pbufPtr%hdr%dtype,pbufPtr%hdr%persistence,pbufPtr%hdr%dimsizes

to:
print *,__FILE__,__LINE__,i,trim(pbufPtr%hdr%name),pbufPtr%hdr%dtype, &
pbufPtr%hdr%persistence,pbufPtr%hdr%dimsizes

Once you do that, do a clean rebuild to make sure your case reflects the new code:

./case.setup --reset
./case.build --clean-all
./case.build

Let me know if that doesn't work.

Courtney

Johnny

Johnny Guo
Hello
When I am porting CESM 2.2.0 to a ubuntu server, I met an error during the ./case.build as shown below.
View attachment 4108
My config_machines.xml and config _compilers.xml and bld.log are attached.
Thanks for any reply.
When you see error on byte 132 that means the line is too long for the Fortran compiler to like.
you need -ffree-line-length-none
Please add this to your config_compilers.xml
<FFLAGS>
<append> -fallow-argument-mismatch -fallow-invalid-boz -ffree-line-length-none</append>
</FFLAGS>

Fuhow

Fu Hao
When you see error on byte 132 that means the line is too long for the Fortran compiler to like.
you need -ffree-line-length-none
Please add this to your config_compilers.xml
<FFLAGS>
<append> -fallow-argument-mismatch -fallow-invalid-boz -ffree-line-length-none</append>
</FFLAGS>
Thank you so much! It's working now! :D

Fuhow

Fu Hao
Hi @Fuhow

It looks like this might be a bug in the code. Can you try breaking up the line in question in components/cam/src/physics/cam/physics_buffer.F90.in into two lines:

i.e. change line ~764

to:

Once you do that, do a clean rebuild to make sure your case reflects the new code:

Let me know if that doesn't work.

Courtney
Hi, peverley.
Thanks for your reply, the problem is truly in the .F90 file. As you and Johnny said, the Fortran compiler cannot compile the long code, and my CESM is working now through Johnny's way!

Johnny

Johnny Guo
Hi, peverley.
Thanks for your reply, the problem is truly in the .F90 file. As you and Johnny said, the Fortran compiler cannot compile the long code, and my CESM is working now through Johnny's way!
Hi Fuhow,
Are you able to run a larger compset that requires multi-processor? Also when you compile hdf5, do you add in --enable-parallel? thanks.
I can run --compset QPC4 --res f45_f45_mg37 but not I2000Clm50SpGs