Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Case will not run due to not downloading proper input data for compset, cannot find resolution that works

feellikeclimateresearch

Felix
Hello,
I am very new to CESM and have been trying to get certain data using the F2000climo compset, ideally focused around the Arctic Circle. I have tried to do this using the commands in the attached Jupyter Notebook (in txtfile format) (I am using the containerized CESM 2.0 release through Docker), which are as followed :
create_newcase --case ~/controlcase13 --compset F2000climo --res f09_f09_mg17 --run-unsupported cd ~/controlcase13 xmlchange STOP_OPTION=nyears,STOP_N=1 xmlquery STOP_OPTION,STOP_N case.setup case.build case.submit
When I run this, it seems to have trouble downloading a few files, but continues to run the simulation for a little while (at least it seems like it, my CPU is maxed out during this time) before giving the following output:
run command is mpiexec -n 16 /home/user/controlcase13/bld/cesm.exe >> cesm.log.$LID 2>&1 Exception from case_run: ERROR: RUN FAIL: Command 'mpiexec -n 16 /home/user/controlcase13/bld/cesm.exe >> cesm.log.$LID 2>&1 ' failed See log file for details: /home/user/controlcase13/run/cesm.log.240203-083206 Submit job case.st_archive Starting job script case.st_archive st_archive starting moving /home/user/controlcase13/run/atm.log.240203-083206 to /home/user/archive/controlcase13/logs/atm.log.240203-083206 moving /home/user/controlcase13/run/cesm.log.240203-083206 to /home/user/archive/controlcase13/logs/cesm.log.240203-083206 moving /home/user/controlcase13/run/cpl.log.240203-083206 to /home/user/archive/controlcase13/logs/cpl.log.240203-083206 moving /home/user/controlcase13/run/lnd.log.240203-083206 to /home/user/archive/controlcase13/logs/lnd.log.240203-083206 Cannot find a controlcase13.cpl*.r.*.nc file in directory /home/user/controlcase13/run Archiving history files for cam (atm) Archiving history files for clm (lnd) Archiving history files for cice (ice) Archiving history files for docn (ocn) Archiving history files for mosart (rof) Archiving history files for cism (glc) Archiving history files for drv (cpl) Archiving history files for dart (esp) st_archive completed Submitted job case.run with id None Submitted job case.st_archive with id None

The log file is attached. If anyone would be able to provide me with guidance on how to successfully run the simulation with this compset and resolution, or provide me with a working resolution that would work with this compset, I would immensely appreciate it.

Felix

Attachments

• controlcase13.ipynb.txt
    30.8 KB · Views: 4
  • cesm.log.240204-083206.txt
    58.3 KB · Views: 6

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
My guess is that your case is dying because your machine doesn't have enough memory for this 1-degree resolution, so I suggest using a coarser resolution.

Before doing that, though, I suggest making sure you're using a good version of the code. You say you are using the CESM2.0 release. This release is no longer supported; the currently-supported versions are CESM2.1 and CESM2.2 (see Models | Community Earth System Model).

A slightly coarser resolution that is commonly used is the 2-degree resolution: f19_f19_mg17. If that doesn't work either, then you could try the very coarse resolution f10_f10_mg37; note that this resolution is only used for software testing and isn't useful for science, but could be a good first start to get something working.

feellikeclimateresearch

Felix
My guess is that your case is dying because your machine doesn't have enough memory for this 1-degree resolution, so I suggest using a coarser resolution.

Before doing that, though, I suggest making sure you're using a good version of the code. You say you are using the CESM2.0 release. This release is no longer supported; the currently-supported versions are CESM2.1 and CESM2.2 (see Models | Community Earth System Model).

A slightly coarser resolution that is commonly used is the 2-degree resolution: f19_f19_mg17. If that doesn't work either, then you could try the very coarse resolution f10_f10_mg37; note that this resolution is only used for software testing and isn't useful for science, but could be a good first start to get something working.
Thank you so much for your response!

Upon learning that Docker only gives containers like 4 gigabytes of RAM, I allocated 24 gigabytes to the CESM container and received the same errors as from before (attached). I tried the other two resolutions you provided as well, and got similar or the same issues. I believe I am actually using CESM 2.2, as the docker location is escomp/cesm-lab-2.2/latest, but I am not entirely sure how to check. Would you be able to provide me with instructions on how to check if I am running CESM 2.2?
Thank you so much,
Felix

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
It sounds like you might have intended to attach log files to your previous message, but I don't see any.

To check the version, in recent versions of the code, you can run the "describe_version" script at the top level of CESM. See also notes about this in Information to include in help requests

A few other things to check / try:
- Look at the log files for the various components (atm.log, lnd.log, etc.) to see if there are any error messages there. If it's not obvious, feel free to attach all of the log files from one of your failed cases to a comment and I can take a quick look.
- Often you can get more meaningful error messages by compiling in debug mode. To do this, create a fresh case and before running case.build run ./xmlchange DEBUG=TRUE. I expect this to fail; hopefully it will give a more helpful message about the cause of the failure. If you're getting similar error messages from all of these cases, I suggest using the f10_f10_mg37 resolution for this and further troubleshooting.