Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CESM-LME - CLM Version/Irrigation

Kamm23

Kelsey
Hello - I have a few clarifying questions regarding the CESM Last Millennium Ensemble simulations (https://doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-14-00233.1).

1) I have been advised in the past to look at CLM 4.0, 4.5, and 5.0 tech notes to better understand how the land use / land cover changes impact river discharge in the CESM-LME simulations. But I was under the impression that CLM 5.0 uses MOSART and that CESM-LME simulations use RTM? Should I be looking at CLM 4.5 to understand how the RTM routes runoff for the LME?

2) In the CLM 4.5 tech note, it states that "the change in storage S of river water, whether it be liquid or ice, within a RTM grid cell (m3 s-1) is:

dS/dt = ∑ Fin - Fout + R,

where ∑ Fin is the sum of inflows of water from neighboring upstream grid cells (m3 s1), Fout is the flux of water leaving the grid cell in the downstream direction (m3 s-1), and R is the total runoff generated by the land model grid cell (m3 s-1)."

So, runoff from neighboring upstream grid cells is included in ∑ Fin? And the S term in Fout (i.e. Fout = (v/d)*S) doesn't include any surface runoff?

3) I was recently asked the question "Do the LULC and Full forcing simulations include irrigation turned on?" and didn't know how to answer this. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Kelsey