Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CESM2 error: initinterp set_mindist: Cannot find any input points matching output points

Hi There,

I encountered an error with CESM 2.2.0. The compset I used was
"2000_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_SIAC_SESP_BGC%BDBD".
The other settings were mostly default settings to test out the bug, except for the system-related settings (e.g. JOB_QUEUE).

The error I encountered is shown below in the screenshot. I only showed the beginning part here because the same error message repeated for different grids. Note that this error was not seen in the test run I did with compset "B1850" and showed up when I only changed the compset.
I have already followed the error message and set the "init_interp_fill_missing_with_natveg = .true.". And I used "./preview_namelists" to ensure that my change was effective.
However, when I rebuilt and rerun the case again, this error showed up again.

I also tested other clm namelist options (e.g. set "init_interp_method = 'general', tune the CLM_NAMELIST_OPTS in the env_run.xml following this post Issues setting up hybrid run ).
However, none of these methods help solve this problem and the error messages for these different trials were still the same as below.

Do you have any ideas on how to solve this problem? Any information is helpful! Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Qinxue
Bug.png

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I was not able to reproduce this error on our machine using cesm2.2.0. The simulation ran successfully for 5 days. Here are the steps I took:

./create_newcase --case test_interp --compset 2000_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_SIAC_SESP_BGC%BDBD --res f09_g17
./case.setup
./preview_namelists (this indicated that finidat = clmi.BHIST.2000-01-01.0.9x1.25_gx1v7_simyr2000_c200728.nc and use_init_interp doesn't appear in the namelist)
./case.build
./case.submit

The lnd log file indicates that the initial file is compatible with the surface dataset used and so shouldn't need to be interpolated.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Since I can't reproduce the problem here, we'll need more specific information about how you've setup your case.
It would be best if you provided all of the information requested here:

I guessed you are using --res f09_g17, but maybe you are specifying a different resolution...

Since I can't reproduce the problem here, we'll need more specific information about how you've setup your case.
It would be best if you provided all of the information requested here:

I guessed you are using --res f09_g17, but maybe you are specifying a different resolution...

Hi Dr. Oleson,
Thanks a lot for your reply and for trying to reproduce this problem! I really appreciate it!
I re-created a case using f09_g17 and I found some different errors this time.
This time I attached the information mentioned in the post you provided.
Since the cesm.log file is too large, it was attached separately here (with a different error this time). The model_debug.zip contains a "step.txt" that describes the steps I took to set up the case. I have simplified the case as simple as possible. However, there do include some system-specific commands since I am not using the Cheyenne. As I have mentioned before, the B1850 compset has been run successfully (with f09_g16 as resolution) in our local system before using similar steps except for the COMPSET. In addition to, there are also some configuration files and other log files in the .zip file.
Could you please have a look to see if you have more clues with these information? Thanks again!
Cheers,
Qinxue

Attachments

• model_debug.zip
    107.8 KB · Views: 5
  • cesm.log.30093324.torque01.util.production.int.aci.ics.psu.edu.210812-161520.zip
    984.9 KB · Views: 8

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
What resolution were you using when you posted your original error (cannot find any input points matching output points)?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I still can't reproduce your error even when using f09_g16 (which requires interpolation). Similar, I can't reproduce your second error using f09_g17 (which doesn't require interpolation).
I'm wondering if this file is corrupt or something:

/gpfs/group/dml129/default/sw/cesm/cesm-inputdata/lnd/clm2/initdata_map/clmi.BHIST.2000-01-01.0.9x1.25_gx1v7_simyr2000_c200728.nc

What's the file size? Is there data in it?
Here, the file size is about 2GB:

1956397644 Jul 28 2020 /glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/initdata_map/clmi.BHIST.2000-01-01.0.9x1.25_gx1v7_simyr2000_c200728.nc

I still can't reproduce your error even when using f09_g16 (which requires interpolation). Similar, I can't reproduce your second error using f09_g17 (which doesn't require interpolation).
I'm wondering if this file is corrupt or something:

/gpfs/group/dml129/default/sw/cesm/cesm-inputdata/lnd/clm2/initdata_map/clmi.BHIST.2000-01-01.0.9x1.25_gx1v7_simyr2000_c200728.nc

What's the file size? Is there data in it?
Here, the file size is about 2GB:

1956397644 Jul 28 2020 /glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/initdata_map/clmi.BHIST.2000-01-01.0.9x1.25_gx1v7_simyr2000_c200728.nc
You are right! This file is only 14M. But the structure seems complete (see the screenshot below) ... Thank you so much! I believe this is the problem!
Shall I substitute this file manually then? I can download the file from cheyenne. May I ask a following question -- why does this happen? How do I avoid this kind of problem?
Thank you so much again Dr. Oleson!

1628803994417.png

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Yes, download the file again and check the size. I don't why, your previous download might have been interrupted.

Yes, download the file again and check the size. I don't why, your previous download might have been interrupted.
Thank you so much Dr. Oleson! I deleted that file with a size of 14M and submitted a new case. Then I found that the file was downloaded correctly this time and has the correct size as your file size. My simulation just ran successfully for 5 days! Thanks a lot!!!

Hope this answer can help @qian yang as well!