Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CESM2 on Derecho

Andrea

Andrea Salazar
Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is a version of CESM2 on git that is out-of-the-box compatible with Derecho? If not, does anyone have advice on how to edit the config_machine.xml file so that the model can run on Derecho?

bitz@uw_edu

Will CESM2.2 be ported to derecho? I've ported CESM to other machines. Any advice about attempting it on my own. I've seen the updates made to CESM2.1 for derecho, which seem like a good starting point.

bitz@uw_edu

Thanks! This has worked to the point of getting create_newcase to work. Now it is worth it for us to get some core hours on derecho to compile and test.
For those who need a bit more help on how to get there:

get cesm2.2 from git as instructed in the documentation and then do the following in your directory where you put cesm2.2
./manage_externals/checkout_externals -v -o
cd cime
git checkout remotes/origin/maint-5.8

Then when logged onto derecho run create_newcase with --machine set to derecho

ajacobs

Ariel
Hi all,

I wanted to update this thread. The above method of 'git checkout remotes/origin/maint-5.8' did not work for me past the create_newcase stage due to incompatibilities with my run configurations. I ended up adding the porting functionality manually by adding the derecho settings to the config_batch.xml, config_compilers.xml, and config_machines.xml scripts. To find the changes, you can look at the git log files in an updated version of cime and search derecho. You should be able to port from there. One issue I ran into was I had to include a header file in one of the c files my case used because the c compiler is different in Cheyenne and Derecho. I have been able to successfully port to derecho and run an CESM case on an SE grid with reanalysis nudging.

Yingying

Yingying Feng
Hi all,

I wanted to update this thread. The above method of 'git checkout remotes/origin/maint-5.8' did not work for me past the create_newcase stage due to incompatibilities with my run configurations. I ended up adding the porting functionality manually by adding the derecho settings to the config_batch.xml, config_compilers.xml, and config_machines.xml scripts. To find the changes, you can look at the git log files in an updated version of cime and search derecho. You should be able to port from there. One issue I ran into was I had to include a header file in one of the c files my case used because the c compiler is different in Cheyenne and Derecho. I have been able to successfully port to derecho and run an CESM case on an SE grid with reanalysis nudging.
Hi Ariel,
Have you ever met the error " /iCESM1_2_0_1_geotrace_n02/models/utils/mct/configure: line 2347: icc: command not found. ?
Is that related to your said "need to include a header file in one of the c files" ?
Thank you!!

Yingying Feng

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I believe that that is related to trying to run the intel compiler without having it in your path. icc is also deprecated and being replaced with icx