Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Changing output frequency for a run continuation?

Hi there,

I've run a cesm2.1.3 simulation for a number of years (compost = 1850_CAM40_CLM40%CN_CICE_DOCN%SOM_RTM_SGLC_SWAV). I want to continue the simulation, but change the output frequency for certain variables.

In particular, I modifying user_nl_cam as follows:

FINCL2 = 'DEI_rad', 'MU_rad', 'LAMBDAC_rad', 'ICIWP_rad', 'ICLWP_rad', 'DES_rad', 'ICSWP_rad', 'CLD_rad', 'CLDFSNOW_rad' nhtfrq = 0,-1 mfilt = 1,24 avgflag_pertape = 'A','I' ndens = 2,2

I then ran ./preview_namelists, and this updated ./run/atm_in as intended. But when I continued the run (submitted to queue using ./case.submit), the output frequency remained the same (i.e. was not modified as intended).

Any idea why the model is not following the data output specifications in atm_in?

Cheers,

Mike

katec

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Mike,

Unfortunately, CESM does not allow changes to history streams during a continue run. To make changes to history streams, you will need to make a branch. The easiest way to do this is to use "create_clone" to clone your case into a new case, make your history changes in the new case, and then change the xml variable RUN_TYPE to "branch." Also, CONTINUE_RUN should be FALSE, and your REF_CASE should be your previous case. This will continue your previous run on as a branch with new history streams. There's more information on branch runs here: 5. Running a Case — CIME cime5.6 documentation

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately, CESM does not allow changes to history streams during a continue run. To make changes to history streams, you will need to make a branch. The easiest way to do this is to use "create_clone" to clone your case into a new case, make your history changes in the new case, and then change the xml variable RUN_TYPE to "branch." Also, CONTINUE_RUN should be FALSE, and your REF_CASE should be your previous case. This will continue your previous run on as a branch with new history streams. There's more information on branch runs here: 5. Running a Case — CIME cime5.6 documentation
Thanks @katec, that's super clear!

MAHE1319

Mahendra Singh
Hi Mike,

Hii katec,
I am a new user of CESM and I also want to change my output frequency of history file in the middle on the run. I did similar changes as suggested in your answer but i got an error:
ERROR: Unknown error submitted to shr_abort_abort.
Please suggest the solution.
I am attaching the cesm log file.
Thank you.

Attachments

• cesm.log.123646.220930-225544.txt
    67.1 KB · Views: 8

katec

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi,
So, the log that you attached here has an error very early in CIME setup. It is very difficult to determine what went wrong from just this one log but I don't think this is due to changing history fields. There is something else setup wrong in your branch run. Perhaps looking at your cpl.log file will give a better idea of what is missing or incorrect. If you want more direct help with this error, then this post describes the kind of information we need to help you: Information to include in help requests

MAHE1319

Mahendra Singh
Hi,
So, the log that you attached here has an error very early in CIME setup. It is very difficult to determine what went wrong from just this one log but I don't think this is due to changing history fields. There is something else setup wrong in your branch run. Perhaps looking at your cpl.log file will give a better idea of what is missing or incorrect. If you want more direct help with this error, then this post describes the kind of information we need to help you: Information to include in help requests
Hii,
I checked the atm log file and find out that i did not change the ref. date in env_run.xml file. After changing it, Model ran successfully.
Thank you.