Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CMOR-ization?

aswann2

Abigail Swann
Are there any currently working scripts for derecho or casper to CMOR-ize CESM output? (I'm assuming no but would love to learn that I am wrong!)

If not working, are there still scripts we could read that would contain the info needed to do this by ~hand? - i.e. the variable name and unit conversion mapping? We need to convert a handful of variables across atm, land, and ocean to contribute to a MIP.

Thanks for any ideas you have!

strandwg

Staff member
Are there any currently working scripts for derecho or casper to CMOR-ize CESM output? (I'm assuming no but would love to learn that I am wrong!)

If not working, are there still scripts we could read that would contain the info needed to do this by ~hand? - i.e. the variable name and unit conversion mapping? We need to convert a handful of variables across atm, land, and ocean to contribute to a MIP.

Thanks for any ideas you have!

This functionality is under current porting and development but isn't currently available.

aswann2

Abigail Swann
Ok thanks! Can you point me to anything I can look at right now as a guide for the variable name and unit conversion mapping?

aswann2

Abigail Swann
Thanks so much! That's a big help for mapping the variable names. Are the unit conversions be included there? It looks like there are a few variables that have multipliers on them, but one of the variables I'm looking at does not and I think that it should. Is there a separate file for the unit conversions?

strandwg

Staff member
Thanks so much! That's a big help for mapping the variable names. Are the unit conversions be included there? It looks like there are a few variables that have multipliers on them, but one of the variables I'm looking at does not and I think that it should. Is there a separate file for the unit conversions?

Unit conversions are denoted in the file. What variable are you examining?

aswann2

Abigail Swann
I was mistaken about one of my variables which turns out to be in the correct unit. But I'm having issues with precipitation.

"pr" is I think supposed to be in kg/m2/s
The table lists:
pr=PREC_F
I do not have this variable in my standard CAM output. One place in the table where pr is listed has a comment
Code:
pr=PREC_F  #Isn't this PRECT from CAM?
I do have PRECT as an output variable, but the units listed are m/s, which requires a factor of 10^3 (kg/m2/s of water = mm/s)

strandwg

Staff member
I was mistaken about one of my variables which turns out to be in the correct unit. But I'm having issues with precipitation.

"pr" is I think supposed to be in kg/m2/s
The table lists:
pr=PREC_F
I do not have this variable in my standard CAM output. One place in the table where pr is listed has a comment
Code:
pr=PREC_F  #Isn't this PRECT from CAM?
I do have PRECT as an output variable, but the units listed are m/s, which requires a factor of 10^3 (kg/m2/s of water = mm/s)

"PREC_F" is precipitation but from the ocean model. You are correct that "pr" for atmosphere is PRECT*1000, to convert m s-1 to kg m-2 s-1.