Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Compile error on derecho related to not finding SHR_LOG_SETLOGUNIT

adamhb

Adam Hanbury-Brown
I recently tried to run CTSM (ctsm5.1.dev115)-FATES on derecho by following the instructions under step b) here. The only difference with what I did compared to the instructions linked above is that I checked out the externals after running these three lines:

git fetch --all
git cherry-pick --no-commit -m 1 --strategy-option theirs ctsm5.1.dev157
git checkout HEAD -- doc/Change* # Undo changes to files other than Externals

This strategy is to "just bring in the externals", but keep the version of CTSM the same as what was successfully running on Cheyenne. I'm trying this first because I need to be able to replicate model results I got on Cheyenne.

I received an error when building the CTSM-FATES case (case dir: /glade/u/home/adamhb/cases/CZ2_equilibrium_011624_-17e2acb6a_FATES-5b076b69) on derecho. The error was written to the build log (/glade/derecho/scratch/adamhb/CZ2_equilibrium_011624_-17e2acb6a_FATES-5b076b69/bld/csm_share.bldlog.240116-144217) and the relevant section says:

/glade/u/home/adamhb/CTSM/components/cmeps/cesm/nuopc_cap_share/nuopc_shr_methods.F90(25): error #6580: Name in only-list does not exist or is not accessible. [SHR_LOG_SETLOGUNIT]
use shr_log_mod , only : shr_log_setLogUnit
---------------------------^
compilation aborted for /glade/u/home/adamhb/CTSM/components/cmeps/cesm/nuopc_cap_share/nuopc_shr_methods.F90 (code 1)

It appears that the CTSM/components directory doesn't have a shr_log_mod that the nuopc_shr_methods.F90 module is looking for.

My question is if this is something that I should be able to fix somehow by bringing in the correct externals? Or is this is an expected issue when running ctsm5.1.dev115 on derecho and it requires manual changes to files in the CTSM/components directory to fix?

For reference:
My case build script is here: /glade/u/home/adamhb/california-fates/run_scripts/ensemble_runs/derecho_build_single_point_case.sh
(If needed) the tag on my version of fates is sci.1.65.6_api.25.4.0-67-g5b076b69

Thank you in advance for any help or advice with this!
Adam

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Adam,

To be completely clear - you will not be able to produce a binary replication of cheyenne runs on derecho.

/glade/u/home/adamhb/CTSM/share/src/shr_log_mod.F90 exists in your source tree. The error is that you have a mismatch between the
cmeps code version and the share code version that you have checked out.

adamhb

Adam Hanbury-Brown
OK, thank you jedwards. I don't really understand how the cmeps and share code versions interact with each other during the build process. Can you provide any guidance on the best way to solve this?

Your point about binary replication is noted. I'd still like to pursue this as it seems like the best hope of minimizing model differences.

Adam

adamhb

Adam Hanbury-Brown
Thank you jedwards for the help! This was fixed by updating to the most recent “share” version share1.0.17-4-g3736a57.