Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Different results about surface heat flux in CAM and POP

ganbaranaito

takufuu
Hello, everyone. I used compset B to do some researches and found some problems.

I found both CAM and POP output the variables about surface heat flux.
In CAM, by summing surface sensible, latent, net shortwave and net longwave heat flux, I can get net surface heat flux.
In POP, I use the variable 'SHF' directly to get net surface heat flux.

Then, I plot above net surface heat flux individually and found the results are different! I don't know why surface heat flux are different in CAM and POP. Which result is reliable? Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

altuntas

Alper Altuntas
Staff member
Firstly, please provide the info listed here: Information to include in help requests

How much discrepancy are you seeing? Are you taking into account ICE and LND components? How about the QFLUX field? If you are running with MCT, have you compared the CAM and POP output variables with the heat budget table from the CPL log file?

Also, I am mentioning @gmarques who has recently worked on ATM-OCN heat budget efforts.

guod

guod
Hello,I think I have a similar problem with you now, and I would like to ask you whether you can determine which result is true and can be used for analysis?

Thanks!

ucas_qs

qiushi Zhang
Hello, is SHF the net surface heat flux? If so, why is the net heat flux term in the sea surface temperature heat budget equation used QSW_3D rather than SHF?
Thanks.