Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Different results for two control runs with same configuration

saubhik100

Saubhik Das
Hello,

I am trying to run the "fixed sst" aquaplanet (compset QPC6 --res f19_f19_mg17) experiment on CESM 2.1.3. To explore if my control runs look the same or not I have conducted the same experiment twice without changing any configuration for 4 years and have discarded the first 6 months as spinup. To my surprise, I am observing significant differences in the meridional wind V of the two runs. The percentage difference for the area-averaged time series V-winds (100*(V1-V2/V1) comes around 300% to 1000% in magnitude (calculated using default monthly outputs h0).

Also, most of the time I am getting "forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV, segmentation fault occurred", even after using "ulimit -s unlimited" from the very beginning. I have to again submit the run to complete the run. Moreover, I have tried to conduct the experiment by increasing the total number of cores, but even after that the segmentation fault shows up sometimes.

To sum up: Is the large percentage deviation in V-wind for the two control runs is somehow associated with the segmentation fault or there are some other possible reasons?

I am attaching the log files for reference.

P.S: I am providing ./xmlchange NTASKS_ATM=384,NTASKS_OCN=384,DOUT_S=FALSE,STOP_OPTION=nmonths,STOP_N=6,RESUBMIT=7