Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

ERROR: create_distrb_roundrobin: max_blocks too small

James King

James King
Hi all,

We've successfully ported CESM2.1.3 to an HPC. Alas, said HPC was recently taken offline for various 'upgrades', and CESM2.1.3 no longer runs properly. After an extended session of whack-a-mole with various error messages, I've come across one which has me stumped. A test case using the F2000climo compset builds ok, though it strangely generates multiple duplicates of the user_nl_* files in the case directory (e.g. user_nl_cam_0002), the deletion of which results in the case failing to build as it requires these files. Similarly, parallel log files are generated. The case then runs for about 4 minutes befire dying with the following error, which appears in both the cesm.log.* and cpl.log.*:

ERROR: create_distrb_roundrobin: max_blocks too small

A search on the forums for this yields 0 results and I've got no idea what this means. The 'upgrades' to the HPC have included changes to the batch submission system which have affected PE-layouts for CESM, which might have something to do with it?

Any pointers on what I can do to fix this would be most welcome.

Thanks,

James

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
We now have a 2.1.4 release, I suggest that you start by downloading that and trying it.
Then, if you still have problems, please provide enough information for me to reproduce your case -
including the error or errors that are generated.

James King

James King
Thanks for this - it took a long time to get 2.1.3 working, including developing custom module files, and it's the only fully supported version on the system at the moment so we're not intending to install 2.1.4 at this point. I've attached the relevant case config files and log files.

James

Attachments

• atm_in_0001.txt
    17.9 KB · Views: 1
  • cesm.log.3937812.230717-161721.txt
    186.6 KB · Views: 4
  • cism_in_0001.txt
    563 bytes · Views: 0
  • cpl.log.3937812.230717-161721.txt
    42.3 KB · Views: 0
  • docn_in_0001.txt
    632 bytes · Views: 0
  • drv_flds_in.txt
    88 bytes · Views: 0
  • drv_in.txt
    6 KB · Views: 0
  • ice_in_0001.txt
    8 KB · Views: 1
  • lnd_in_0001.txt
    6.3 KB · Views: 0
  • lnd_in_0002.txt
    6.3 KB · Views: 0

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
cesm 2.1.4 is identical to 2.1.3 except for bug fixes and additional options - it is the first step toward solving any issue
in the 2.1.x series. It uses exactly the same configuration files as 2.1.3.

What was the create_newcase command that produced these files?

James King

James King
Will pass that along.
The command was:
./create_newcase --case ../../../runs/F2000_post_maintenance_test_4 --compset F2000climo --res f09_f09_mg17 --project <project code>

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I could not reproduce this issue with cesm2.1.4, perhaps it's a bug in 2.1.3 that was already fixed.
You should not generate files like user_nl_cam.0001 if you insist on using cesm 2.1.3 try not using a number as the last digit of the casename.