Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

error in producing namelist

waheed

Hello, I am new to the CESM, I am following the user Manuel to produce Macro file and then configure "Build configuration for a 'user defined' machine".
I was able to follow all the steps in env_build.xml, env_mach_pes.xml, and run_.xml.

after that, I executed ./cesm_setup from the test folder, it stoped and following errors popped up. I don't know where to start with it. May be they are two different errors or one,

Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated here (and will be fatal in Perl 5.30), passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/^(.*)\$ENV{ <-- HERE (.*)}(.*)$/ at ~/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm line 1237.

syntax error at ~/drv/bld/build-namelist line 784, near "$model qw(cpl atm lnd ice ocn glc rof wav)" Can't redeclare "my" in "my" at /~/models/drv/bld/build-namelist line 787, near "my"

Global symbol "$model" requires explicit package name (did you forget to declare "my $model"?) at ~/models/drv/bld/build-namelist line 787.

ERROR: ~/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/preview_namelists failed: 25344

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You are using an old and unsupported version of the model. Please consider updating to the latest cesm2.1.1 release code.
If this isn't possible, you can fix the perl issues by adding a new set of parenthesis around the qw() function so:
Code:
$model qw(cpl atm lnd ice ocn glc rof wav)
becomes
Code:
$model (qw(cpl atm lnd ice ocn glc rof wav))

waheed

You are using an old and unsupported version of the model. Please consider updating to the latest cesm2.1.1 release code.
If this isn't possible, you can fix the perl issues by adding a new set of parenthesis around the qw() function so:
Code:
$model qw(cpl atm lnd ice ocn glc rof wav)
becomes
Code:
$model (qw(cpl atm lnd ice ocn glc rof wav))

Hi Jedwards, Thank You for the comment, I did what you recommeneded in the previous post but however when I open the file it already had those extra brackets there as
"foreach my $group (@groups) {

if ($group =~ /component/) {

foreach my $comp ( @comps ) {

$comp =~ s/\'//g; # get rid of quotes in $comp

foreach my $model (qw(COMP_ATM COMP_LND COMP_ICE COMP_OCN COMP_GLC COMP_ROF COMP_WAV)) {

if ($self->get($model) eq $comp) {

my $groupname = $group . "_$comp";

if (($format eq "xml") || ($filename =~ m/xml/)) {

if ($xmode =~ "expert") {

$self->_write_xml2($fh, $groupname);

} else {

$self->_write_xml($fh, $groupname);

if ($group =~ 'build_component') {

# do nothing"

Just to play around with the error, I removed and went back but then errors were many as shown below like
Macros script already created ...skipping

Machine/Decomp/Pes configuration has already been done ...skipping

Running preview_namelist script

syntax error at /Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm line 490, near "$model qw(COMP_ATM COMP_LND COMP_ICE COMP_OCN COMP_GLC COMP_ROF COMP_WAV)"

Global symbol "$model" requires explicit package name (did you forget to declare "my $model"?) at /Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm line 491.

syntax error at /Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm line 510, near "} else"

Global symbol "$format" requires explicit package name (did you forget to declare "my $format"?) at /Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm line 511.

Global symbol "$filename" requires explicit package name (did you forget to declare "my $filename"?) at /Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm line 511.

Global symbol "$group" requires explicit package name (did you forget to declare "my $group"?) at /Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm line 512.

Global symbol "$xmode" requires explicit package name (did you forget to declare "my $xmode"?) at /Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm line 512.

Global symbol "$self" requires explicit package name (did you forget to declare "my $self"?) at /Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm line 513.

Global symbol "$fh" requires explicit package name (did you forget to declare "my $fh"?) at /Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm line 513.

Global symbol "$group" requires explicit package name (did you forget to declare "my $group"?) at /Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm line 513.

Global symbol "$self" requires explicit package name (did you forget to declare "my $self"?) at /Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm line 515.

Global symbol "$fh" requires explicit package name (did you forget to declare "my $fh"?) at /Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm line 515.

Global symbol "$group" requires explicit package name (did you forget to declare "my $group"?) at /Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm line 515.

Global symbol "$ccsmroot" requires explicit package name (did you forget to declare "my $ccsmroot"?) at /Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm line 515.

Global symbol "$group" requires explicit package name (did you forget to declare "my $group"?) at /Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm line 516.

Global symbol "$fh" requires explicit package name (did you forget to declare "my $fh"?) at /Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm line 519.

syntax error at /Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm line 521, near "}"

/Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/Tools/ConfigCase.pm has too many errors.

Compilation failed in require at ./Tools/xml2env line 122.

ccsm_getenv error

ERROR: /Users/apple/Downloads/DART/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/test/preview_namelists failed: 65280

Any clue where should I start from now please

waheed

Hi Edwards, i have fixed the issue, You were right. I have recopied a fresh copy of CESM1.2.2; which i need for DART (still figuring out why i need that version).
Thanks for the help