Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Error when creating new case: Could not find machine match for

xcj

xcj
I will do that. In the meantime, is there no way I can simply modify the path so that it fetches the config_machines.xml from $HOME/.cime/ instead of /cvmfs/soft.computecanada.ca/easybuild/software/2017/Core/cesm/2.1.1/ without porting the model myself?

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
That is what should happen. Nether of us understand why it isn't happening. I'm not sure what more I can do with that.

xcj

xcj
Going back to testing CIME as described here: 8. Testing — CIME master documentation, I tried

$CIMEROOT/scripts/create_test test

and got the error:

File "/cvmfs/soft.computecanada.ca/gentoo/2020/usr/lib/python3.7/sre_parse.py", line 645, in _parse

source.tell() - here + len(this))

re.error: nothing to repeat at position 0

xcj

xcj
Hello again, I tried running create_test test and I keep getting the unknown machine error. I validated all three config files:

xmllint --noout --schema $CESM_ROOT/cime/config/xml_schemas/config_machines.xsd $HOME/.cime/config_machines.xml

xmllint --noout --schema $CESM_ROOT/cime/config/xml_schemas/config_compilers_v2.xsd $HOME/.cime/config_compilers.xml

xmllint --noout --schema $CESM_ROOT/cime/config/xml_schemas/config_batch.xsd $HOME/.cime/config_batch.xml

and they all checked out, so why can't the model find my machine?

YCCircle

Yuanyuan HUANG
Hello again, I tried running create_test test and I keep getting the unknown machine error. I validated all three config files:

xmllint --noout --schema $CESM_ROOT/cime/config/xml_schemas/config_machines.xsd $HOME/.cime/config_machines.xml

xmllint --noout --schema $CESM_ROOT/cime/config/xml_schemas/config_compilers_v2.xsd $HOME/.cime/config_compilers.xml

xmllint --noout --schema $CESM_ROOT/cime/config/xml_schemas/config_batch.xsd $HOME/.cime/config_batch.xml

and they all checked out, so why can't the model find my machine?
Have you solved this problem? I met something similar. :(

Hemraj

Hemraj Bhattarai
Hi,
I get the same problem, could you please let me know how did you solve it:
Could not find machine match for 'xxx' or 'xxx'

ERROR: Could not initialize machine object from /storage01/users/xxx/CESM2_1_3/cime/config/cesm/machines/config_machines.xml or /users/xxx/.cime/config_machines.xml