Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Error when testing nudging tools in CESM2.1.3

Jerry

Cao
Hi, everyone!
I try to test the nudging tools in directory 'components/cam/tools/nudging/Gen_Data/'.
And I chose ERAI as the target reanalysis product.
I edited the csh script according to the instructions in the README file and submitted it for execution.
Unfortunately, there was an error.
I have attached the edited csh script and the Slurm log file and hope this can provide some help.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Gen_ERAI_fv09_001.01.csh.txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 6
  • slurm-6127.out.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 8

peverley

Courtney Peverley
Hi Jerry,

I would recommend adjusting some of these paths. I don't believe the script will create directories, so if ./Config doesn't exist, for example, you will get errors.

# Set INPUT/OUTPUT/TMP directories,
#-----------------------------------
set NAMELIST = './Config/Config_makeIC-'$RUNNUM'.nl'
set MYLOGDIR = './LOG/LOG_001.'$RUNNUM'/'
set MYTMPDIR = './TMP/TMP_001.'$RUNNUM'/'
set MYOUTDIR = '/share/home/caost/scripts/output/'
set INPUTDIR = '/share/home/caost/scripts/erai/'

Jerry

Cao
Hi Jerry,

I would recommend adjusting some of these paths. I don't believe the script will create directories, so if ./Config doesn't exist, for example, you will get errors.
Hello Peverley,
Thanks for your reply. I have identified the statement causing the error in the csh script.
The error is related to the WRAPIT command, which is used to call functions from Fortran files.
But I still have no idea how to resolve the error. Maybe It is related to the NCL version.

peverley

Courtney Peverley
Hi Jerry,

Did you by chance try updating those paths? When I ran it, I was getting an error that said it was about WRAPIT, but was actually a symptom of the path issue.

Jerry

Cao
Hi Jerry,

Did you by chance try updating those paths? When I ran it, I was getting an error that said it was about WRAPIT, but was actually a symptom of the path issue.
Wow, that is amazing. I will have a try!
Thank you for your kind attention.

Jerry

Cao
Hi Jerry,

Hi Peverley,
I have created several folders as required by the script; however, the task still failed a few seconds after submission.
The error still exists: *** buffer overflow detected ***: /share/apps/anaconda3/envs/NCtools/bin/wrapit77 terminate.
By the way, Can you tell me the Linux version, NCL version, and Fortran compiler you are using?

peverley

Courtney Peverley
Can you include the full error output? Did it seem to get further?

My versions of Linux, NCL, Fortran compiler (intel)
SUSE Linux 5.14.21-150400.24.18-default
ncl/6.6.2
intel/2023.0.0

Jerry

Cao
Can you include the full error output? Did it seem to get further?

My versions of Linux, NCL, Fortran compiler (intel)
SUSE Linux 5.14.21-150400.24.18-default
ncl/6.6.2
intel/2023.0.0
The "slurm-6548.out.txt" attachment is the latest log file after I submit the script.
It was aborted after being submitted for a few seconds. This seems to be progress compared to being terminated immediately before.
The log file contains error messages about WRAPIT and the absence of some folders, but I guess the latter seems to depend on the former?

Attachments

• slurm-6548.out.txt
    20.7 KB · Views: 2

Jerry

Cao
Dear all,
The above issue has been resolved, and I appreciate everyone who provided suggestions. The error related to WRAPIT BUFFER OVERFLOW was ultimately traced to a subroutine named read_namelist in the MAKEIC.f90 file. The excessive number of parameters in this subroutine was identified as the cause of the error. By reducing the parameters to 31 or fewer (the reason for the critical threshold being 31 is not yet clear), the error was resolved. My own solution involved rewriting the read_namelist subroutine into two similar subroutines, each containing a subset of the original parameters, ensuring that the parameter count remained below the critical threshold.
I hope this can be helpful to anyone encountering a similar issue.