Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Errors in branch run

luka0418

Fan Wang
Dear all,

I was trying to do a test for a branch run. I succeeded in doing a startup run from January to May and obtained *.r.* files. After I modified RUN_TYPE, RUN_REFDIR, RUN_REFCASE and RUN_REFDATE in env_run.xml and put related initial files in proper folders, I carried out the branch run and got this unknown error. Does anyone have suggestions for tackling this problem?

Many thanks,
Fan

1707198393031.png

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
It looks like this is having trouble reading the pop/ocn restart file. I'd start by looking at the pop/ocn restart file to make sure it's a valid netcdf file. You can do this by running "ncdump -k FILENAME.nc", replacing FILENAME.nc with the name of the actual file. You should get something like "classic" or "cdf5" or some other value if it's a valid netcdf file, or "Unknown file format" if it isn't. Please tell us the result of that.

If the problem isn't obvious based on that, please add the information requested in Information to include in help requests, such as the exact model version you are using and other details of your configuration - including the values you have set for RUN_REFCASE, etc. Please also give a directory listing of your RUN_REFDIR directory.