Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Generating a straight line with hybrid sigma pressure coordinates on y-axis

r_a_khan

Ramsha Khan
Hi,

I am perturbing a forcing file for a single column run for CAM. I am changing the vertical profile for temperature at a particular time step, such that the calculated T in SCAM will be relaxed to this profile. I have the hybrid sigma pressure on the y-axis, and T on the x axis. Now, I have perturbed this profile slightly by changing the values for T at certain levels, and altering the altitude where the inversions begin, as in the attached figure. Now, I want to fill in the intermediate values "linearly" so to speak. However, due to the non-linear spacing of the y-coordinates, this creates kinks, as can be seen in the attached image. I want a straight line for the red, yellow and green profiles after the inversion begins ( so for example, the red profile should be straight line between 850 hPa and 700 hPa).

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best approximation for a linear representation in this coordinate system? Theoretically if the sigma pressure coordinates were simply a function of the standard axis (altitude in terms of linear pressure), i.e. f(p) , I could transform the x coordinates accordingly, as with a semilog transformation. But the sigma pressure coordinates are not a function of p, instead they are calculated using pre-set coefficients A and B as stated here: 3.5 Model Vertical Coordinate

Perhaps simply a log transformation in the hybrid zone is a better representation, in terms of smoothing the kinks?

Thanks,
Ramsha

Attachments

• profile.png
    profile.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 3