Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Has anyone run CVDP for the CESM LE control simulation?

Hi there,I'm very interested in the variability of the CESM Large Ensemble control simulation (specifically, for Southern Ocean stuff, but generally for lots of things!).My question is: has anyone run the CVDP on output from this simulation?  If not, would there be any reason (output frequency, primarily) that would preclude this type of analysis, were one interested?Thanks!

asphilli

Adam Phillips
CVCWG Liaison
Staff member
Hi Jeremy,Yes. See the CVDP main site here:http://www2.cesm.ucar.edu/working-groups/cvcwg/cvdpand then click on "CSM - CCSM - CESM Control Run Intercomparison". I set the CVDP to analyze years 401-2200 from the Large Ensemble control. If you are interested in the output netcdf files from this comparison let me know and I can post them on our ftp site. Adam

Adam,This is super cool!  Yes, that would be fantastic if you were to post the netcdf files.  I'm mostly interested in time series of variability over years 500-1500 or so, because I'm looking at variability in the Southern Ocean within the LE control, and trying to link that to other modes of variability in the system.  It sounds like this interval is definitely within your analysis period (401-2200).If I do get any interesting publishable-grade results I'll let you know for sure.As far as sharing - if it's easier you could copy these files somewhere on Yellowstone.  But ftp is fine as well.Jeremy   

asphilli

Adam Phillips
CVCWG Liaison
Staff member
Hi Jeremy,I have placed the output file on yellowstone here:/glade/p/cesmLE/CESM-CAM5-BGC-LE/CVDP/ControlsI have posted previous CVDP output files for the Large Ensemble on that disk previously, so this seemed like a good place to put the control data as well. Let me know if you have any issues with the data.Adam 

Hi Adam, Great, I see it.  I think this saved me an epic amount of work.  So, thanks.  I'll have a play over the next month or so and get back to you with any questions.