Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How are CMIP6 "evspsbl" and "hfls" variables calculated from CESM output?

The variables "evspsbl" ( Evaporation Including Sublimation and Transpiration) and "hfls" (Surface Upward Latent Heat Flux) are very similar in character and I am unsure how these fields are calculated from the atmospheric fields that are part of the standard output. Comparing CMIP6 data from CESM for these two variables reveals that throughout the tropics and parts of the mid-latitudes (especially in the SH) hfls is just evspsbl scaled by the latent heat of vaporization. The only differences between them are evident over the high latitudes. This indicates that one needs additional information about snow and ice in those latitudes to calculate one of the variables (I presume hfls). The only relevant variable in the CESM monthly outputs is LHFLX, but this doesn't seem to be enough. I am assuming that:

evspsbl = LHFLX / latent_heat_of_vapourization
and,
hfls = LHFLX + some other stuff

Could someone please point me to specific expressions that are used in the generation of these CMIP6 variables?

Thanks,
Deepak

lazezo

Aymn Elhaddad
Hi there,
I am trying to find any documentation for how "hfls" or "LHFLX" is calculated , could anyone help with that ? I am assuming that is is used to calculate actual evapotranspiration evspsbl

lazezo

Aymn Elhaddad
If possible I also need the same information about evspsblpot ( inputs and equations) . Thanks all help is highly appreciated.

Best.

strandwg

Staff member
Hi there,
I am trying to find any documentation for how "hfls" or "LHFLX" is calculated , could anyone help with that ? I am assuming that is is used to calculate actual evapotranspiration evspsbl

LHFLX is computed and written out by CAM. You may want to ask on the CAM forum, or read the CAM documentation.