Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How the CO2 concentration is determined in CMIP6 amip-4xCO2

kezhoulumelody

Kezhou Lu
Hi all,

I want to conduct a set of large ensemble that are similar to CMIP6 amip-4xCO2. However, I don't know how the CO2 concentration is set in amip-4xCO2 as the prescribed CO2 concentration is different every year. The compset I am using is FHIST_BGC, and I guess I am supposed to change the flgc_file where I quadruple the value of "CO2_LBC". The flgc_file = /glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/waccm/lb/LBC_1750-2015_CMIP6_GlobAnnAvg_c180926.nc

From what I have learned in the forum, I think I am supposed to create a new flbc_file and make the following changes in user_nl_cam

&chem_surfvals_nl
flbc_file = '/glade/xxx/my_directory/LBC_CMIP6_1pctCO2_y1-165_GlobAnnAvg_0p5degLat_c180929_4xCO2.nc'
flbc_list = 'CO2','CH4','N2O','CFC11eq','CFC12'
flbc_type = 'SERIAL'
scenario_ghg = 'CHEM_LBC_FILE'
/

There are other places setting the CO2 concentration like co2vmr, CCSM_CO2_PPMV, and co2flux_fuel_file. I don't know if I need to make any changes to these constants/files.

Thank you!

Best,

Melody

strandwg

Staff member
Hi all,

I want to conduct a set of large ensemble that are similar to CMIP6 amip-4xCO2. However, I don't know how the CO2 concentration is set in amip-4xCO2 as the prescribed CO2 concentration is different every year. The compset I am using is FHIST_BGC, and I guess I am supposed to change the flgc_file where I quadruple the value of "CO2_LBC". The flgc_file = /glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/waccm/lb/LBC_1750-2015_CMIP6_GlobAnnAvg_c180926.nc

From what I have learned in the forum, I think I am supposed to create a new flbc_file and make the following changes in user_nl_cam

&chem_surfvals_nl
flbc_file = '/glade/xxx/my_directory/LBC_CMIP6_1pctCO2_y1-165_GlobAnnAvg_0p5degLat_c180929_4xCO2.nc'
flbc_list = 'CO2','CH4','N2O','CFC11eq','CFC12'
flbc_type = 'SERIAL'
scenario_ghg = 'CHEM_LBC_FILE'
/

There are other places setting the CO2 concentration like co2vmr, CCSM_CO2_PPMV, and co2flux_fuel_file. I don't know if I need to make any changes to these constants/files.

Thank you!

Best,

Melody

I've attached the CASEROOT for f.e21.FHIST_BGC.f09_f09_mg17.CFMIP-amip-4xCO2.001; it may be of help to you.

Attachments

• f.e21.FHIST_BGC.f09_f09_mg17.CFMIP-amip-4xCO2.001.tar.gz
    115.7 KB · Views: 8

changmao

Yufei Wang
I've attached the CASEROOT for f.e21.FHIST_BGC.f09_f09_mg17.CFMIP-amip-4xCO2.001; it may be of help to you.
Hi,I am learning how to use CESM FHIST for CO2 concentration increase experiments. I want to increase CO2 concentration to four times the pre-industrial level at the beginning of the simulation (4XCO2). But I really don't know how to modify Flbc_file. Should I directly change the CO2 value in the file to 4 times?

In the file you uploaded, flbc_file = /glade/work/brianpm/model_data/CFMIP/LBC_1750-2015_CMIP6_GlobAnnAvg_4xCO2_c190228.nc (cam_input_data_list), can I ask how to obtain or prepare this file.

Thanks a lot.

strandwg

Staff member
Hi,I am learning how to use CESM FHIST for CO2 concentration increase experiments. I want to increase CO2 concentration to four times the pre-industrial level at the beginning of the simulation (4XCO2). But I really don't know how to modify Flbc_file. Should I directly change the CO2 value in the file to 4 times?

In the file you uploaded, flbc_file = /glade/work/brianpm/model_data/CFMIP/LBC_1750-2015_CMIP6_GlobAnnAvg_4xCO2_c190228.nc (cam_input_data_list), can I ask how to obtain or prepare this file.

Thanks a lot.

@brianpm, do you have this file handy?