Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to Change Project Code

Hi All,

I am running into issues building cases with CLM because I have a new project code, but I do not understand how to change the PBS_ACCOUNT. To me the information here

and here
is not very helpful.

Any insight is greatly appreciated! If this doesn't solve my problem I will provide more information.

ctsm version: release-clm5.0.30-143-gabcd5937

Cheers,
Katie

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I have PBS_ACCOUNT set in my .tcshrc.
You should also be able to specify the account number when creating your case using "--project PXXXXXXX".
Let me know if that's not what you are after.

Hi Keith,

Even though I set the project code when I create a new case, sometimes (not all the time) I get this error when I try to build the case.

Submitting command to PBS using account UBOI0003:
./case.build

qsub: Account is in state: Expired
available accounts:
Project, Status, Active
UBOI0003, Expired, True
UBOI0006, Normal, True

Error: PBS could not successfully start job. Exiting...

I guess then my question is how to properly set the PBS_ACCOUNT in .tcshrc. My .tcshrc is empty, and I do not have a .profile file.

Thanks!

Also, if I go into the case directory and run ./xmlquery PROJECT, then it shows that the project is set to the correct account.

>./xmlquery

Results in group case.run
PROJECT: UBOI0006

Results in group case.st_archive
PROJECT: UBOI0006

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Do you have a .cesm_proj in your home directory? If so, what are its contents?
If not, you could try creating one and put your project number in there.

I use tcsh (echo $SHELL -> /bin/tcsh) and I put this in my .tcshrc:

setenv PBS_ACCOUNT P93300641

where you would substitute in your project number.

I myself am always confused as to which source is chosen to get the project number

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I found this in the cime user's guide, not sure if it is up to date:

CIME.utils.get_project(machobj=None)[source]
Hierarchy for choosing PROJECT: 0. Command line flag to create_newcase or create_test 1. Environment variable PROJECT 2 Environment variable ACCOUNT (this is for backward compatibility) 3. File $HOME/.cime/config (this is new) 4 File $HOME/.cesm_proj (this is for backward compatibility) 5 config_machines.xml (if machobj provided)

It doesn't mention PBS_ACCOUNT but I think it would do the same thing as PROJECT.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You can use the -A option, e.g.,

qcmd -A P93300041 -- ./case.build