Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to change the radiation reflected by the surface to the atmosphere

jialiu

NJNU
Dear all,
I would like to modify the radiation reflected by the surface to the atmosphere. Where should I change the code?
Thanks very much

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
What version of the code are you referring to? Each of the surface components (CLM, CICE, POP, CISM) have an albedo formulation. That is if you are talking about the shortwave. Or are you talking about the longwave radiation?

jialiu

NJNU
What version of the code are you referring to? Each of the surface components (CLM, CICE, POP, CISM) have an albedo formulation. That is if you are talking about the shortwave. Or are you talking about the longwave radiation?
I want to modify shortwave radiation.

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
This is a bit more information. However, I was asking which component ... CLM, CICE, DOCN, etc? The land model (CLM), sea ice model (CICE) each have their own computed albedos.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The albedo calculations in CLM are quite complex. Please see this chapter of the technical note:

This previous post may be helpful as well: