Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to generate surface datasets using my own land use data

cocowind1997

liang liang
Hi all, I have a question on how to change surface datasets using my own land use data(for example:MODIS). I read the previous posts and replies. Is there a special tool to convert surface data with my own land use data? I want to know the detailed operation steps and precautions.
Thank you very much!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
There are a couple of tools.
One is the mksurfdata_map tool that generates CLM surface datasets at the desired spatial resolution for a CESM simulation from a variety of "raw" datasets. See:
The other tool is the CLM land use data tool that will create the raw datasets. That might be what you need. See:
You may want to contact the author directly regarding that (lawrence @ ucar.edu)

cocowind1997

liang liang
One is the mksurfdata_map tool that generates CLM surface datasets at the desired spatial resolution for a CESM simulation from a variety of "raw" datasets. See:
The other tool is the CLM land use data tool that will create the raw datasets. That might be what you need. See:
You may want to contact the author directly regarding that (lawrence @ ucar.edu)
Fantastic, thanks!

CGL

CGL
Thanks for your reply. By the way, I want to use regional LUH2 data for CESM2.1.3 simulation. Is there any idea or guidence?

CGL

CGL
Hi,@oleson!
Do you konw where could i find the definition for variable in surfdata?
I look the surdata named 'surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2000_c190214.nc' and it's variable.But i can't find the varibale's detail definition like 'PCT_NATVGE'. I read the 'PCT_NATVGE' varible, but i don't konw the value means.

CGL

CGL
ncdump -h surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2000_c190214.nc

double PCT_NATVEG(lsmlat, lsmlon) ;
PCT_NATVEG:long_name = "total percent natural vegetation landunit" ;
PCT_NATVEG:units = "unitless" ;

There is a description of grid cell subgrid-scale heterogeneity here in the technical note:

Thank you a lot. I want to konw how to use the surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2000_c190214.nc to simulate the years of data, as a inputdata for Fclimo2000 compset in CESM. The surdata seems like do not have timeseries LUCCdata.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
If you want to run with transient landcover in an F-compset, then I suggest the FHIST or FHIST_BGC compset.

CGL

CGL
@oleson,I want to replace the PCT_NAT_pft in surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2000_c190214.nc with the 2000years PCT_NAT_pft inside the landuse.timeseries in surfdata. Will this get F2000climo running?

slevis

The model does that for you if you use the FHIST or FHIST_BGC compset, so that you won't have to replace any data in the surfdata file.

If you have a preference for the F2000climo compset, then I would suggest:
- creating two cases: one with the F2000climo compset and one with the FHIST compset
- then determine how the two cases differ and manually change the F2000climo case to include what you need from the FHIST case, so as to run with the changes in landuse that you want

I hope this helps.

CGL

CGL
The model does that for you if you use the FHIST or FHIST_BGC compset, so that you won't have to replace any data in the surfdata file.

If you have a preference for the F2000climo compset, then I would suggest:
- creating two cases: one with the F2000climo compset and one with the FHIST compset
- then determine how the two cases differ and manually change the F2000climo case to include what you need from the FHIST case, so as to run with the changes in landuse that you want

I hope this helps.
@slevis But i want to replace some region use 1850year surfdata with 2000y surfdata and run the model. Is that FHIST will work?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Sorry, we are having trouble understanding what you are trying to do.
Based on our understanding of your most recent post, if you want to run a time-slice experiment, then use the F2000climo compset. You can replace the data in the year 2000 surface dataset (the dataset pointed to by fsurdat in your lnd_in) with whatever data you want, e.g., plant functional type distributions from 1850.

CGL

CGL
Based on our understanding of your most recent post, if you want to run a time-slice experiment, then use the F2000climo compset. You can replace the data in the year 2000 surface dataset (the dataset pointed to by fsurdat in your lnd_in) with whatever data you want, e.g., plant functional type distributions from 1850.
If i change the regional surfdat(Like Amazon area), should i spi up? For res1.9X2.5 degress(compeset is Fclimo2000), Run how many years to meet the balance?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Sorry, this sentence should be deleted:
"See the Example 4-7 as an example of doing this as the last step for CLMCN."
These sentences do apply however:
"To spin-up the CLMSP model you merely need to run CLMSP for about 50 simulation years starting from arbitrary initial conditions. You then use the final restart file for initial conditions in other simulations. Because, this is a straight forward operation we will NOT give the details on how to do that here, but leave it as an exercise for the reader.
You can also start from a default initial file that is setup as part of the selected compset."

For the F2000climo compset you are running, I would start with the default initial file that is provided and run for a number of years with your modified surface dataset. You can then plot the annual means of the variables shown in Figure 1.5.1 to judge whether the fluxes and state variables are adequately spunup.

CGL

CGL
Sorry, this sentence should be deleted:
"See the Example 4-7 as an example of doing this as the last step for CLMCN."
These sentences do apply however:
"To spin-up the CLMSP model you merely need to run CLMSP for about 50 simulation years starting from arbitrary initial conditions. You then use the final restart file for initial conditions in other simulations. Because, this is a straight forward operation we will NOT give the details on how to do that here, but leave it as an exercise for the reader.
You can also start from a default initial file that is setup as part of the selected compset."

For the F2000climo compset you are running, I would start with the default initial file that is provided and run for a number of years with your modified surface dataset. You can then plot the annual means of the variables shown in Figure 1.5.1 to judge whether the fluxes and state variables are adequately spunup.
Thans for your patience and reply! I will try it.

CGL

CGL
@oleson. Now I modify the surfdata and keep the sum is 1 as you mentioned in the surfrd_get_data ERROR: sum of wt_lunit not 1.0. But I got the erro like :
Not a valid ID
Abort(1) on node 1 (rank 1 in comm 0): application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1) - process 1
pio_support::pio_die:: myrank= -1 : ERROR: ionf_mod.F90: 235 :

The error report will be in attach files.

Attachments

• slurm-108038.zip
    6.7 KB · Views: 0