Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

how to include inputdata for building a case in CESM2

stephensa2042

Hi,

I am trying to build a case but I am not sure how to include inputdata

my steps are below

cd $CESMROOT/cime/scripts
./create_newcase --case ~/cases/case01 --compset B1850 --res f09_g17
cd ~/cases/case01/
./case.setup
./case.build

then I receive the error
ERROR: Failed to find or download file /scratch/amys/case01/run/inputdata_checksum.dat

I am very new to learning CESM2 and appreciate any help or points in the right direction.

Thanks!

fischer

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Try running

check_input_data --download

In your case directory(/scratch/amys/case01).

stephensa2042

ok cool, but will this download the correct input data or too much input data?

And do you know how I would change what input data is used? For example, I was hoping to pick a past date, say January 6th 2019 and then run the model, to see if the model shows an actual event that occurred. But I'm not sure if that is even possible.

fischer

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
This will download only the data that is needed. It would be very difficult to reproduce an event that occurred for a given date. You can
set RUN_STARTDATE using the xmlchange command. But you would need to create initial condition files to try to recreate January 6th 2019
conditions. I don't believe there is any downloadable input data available to recreate a given event.